Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1489302  by matt

Good morning
I am heading to New York and may find time to do some railfanning / spotting in the central New York area, mainly Penn and Grand Central. Does anyone know if there are any unsual workings in this area and when they usually run? Ive seen a few garbage train videos in the New York area, would anyone be able to shed any light?
 #1489401  by Allan

matt wrote:Good morning
I am heading to New York and may find time to do some railfanning / spotting in the central New York area, mainly Penn and Grand Central. Does anyone know if there are any unsual workings in this area and when they usually run? Ive seen a few garbage train videos in the New York area, would anyone be able to shed any light?
Matt, welcome.

This forum is for the NYC Subway and the PATH system and the Staten Island Rapid Transit.

For NY Penn Station try the AmTrak forum or the NJ Transit forum or even the Long Island Railroad forum. For Grand Central try the MetroNorth forum.
 #1489402  by Kamen Rider

If you mean the subway refuse collection trains, the best place to scope them out is near the access points to their main yards, such as 38th street Yard in Brooklyn, next to the 9th Ave station on the D. I also often saw one along the Queens Blvd line in the early afternoon heading east along the local.

I only ask because a large portion of New York City's solid waste collection is moved by mainline rail nowadays. I live about a mile from one of the trash transfer stations where they load them into quarter sized shipping containers for the New York & Atlantic (the contracted freight operator for the Long Island Rail Road) to take away.