Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1453778  by ExCon90

I suppose quite a lot of people would "prefer to stand" or put up with it for such a short distance; I hope they're not planning on expanding it to the numbered routes. Those horizontal grab bars under the windows don't look as though they'd be much help in starting and stopping; in some countries in Europe they provide large knobs, somewhat bigger than an ordinary doorknob--if mounted at intervals above and below the windows (with due provision for not protruding) they'd be a lot more help when the train slows down approaching the other end.
 #1453849  by Allan

chuchubob wrote:To accommodate passengers who prefer to stand, some seats are being removed from some cars, including R-62A 1922, the middle car on the 42nd Street Shuttle on track 1.
Since there is a periodic rotation of equipment, I wonder what is going to happen to car 1922 when it is time to put those cars currently assigned to the shuttle back on the 6 line. I guess 1922 would remain on the shuttle until someone decides that the seats should be put back.

I took the shuttle today (non-rush hours) and noticed that some people used the horizontal grab bars (which were at seat height) as seats rather than standing and holding on to them. I think that the MTA should have gone with fold down seating rather than removing the seats altogether.