Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1411465  by GirlOnTheTrain

Mostly sanity checks, yes...that said, the most recent clearance issues they've discovered are 46s and 68s on 2nd Avenue (pending a fix which might already be done) and 32s and 42s in the Montague Tube after its reopening post-Sandy renewal work...so they still gotta be thorough.
 #1438684  by trainbrain

I pretty much know where the R179's will be once they go into service. The 10 car sets will all go to the A, and the 8 car sets on the C, and J/Z. According to Wikipedia, at peak levels of service, there are currently 64 R32's on the C, 80 on the J/Z, 40 R42's on the J/Z, and 20 R32's on the A. Since there are 274 R32's and R42's combined and 204 needed for peak service levels, there are 70 extra cars. There are 300 R179's coming in with 40 in 5 car sets and going to the A. The other 260 will be going to the lines that need 4 car sets. There are only 184 of the old cars needed during peak levels of service, so the fleet of 260 should be more then enough to replace them all.

Here's where it gets confusing. MTA says they plan to keep a small number of R32's around until the R211's arrive due to fleet expansion needs and service changes relating to the L train shutdown. As of now, they've said they plan to max out J/Z, and M service and run full length trains on the G. Some of the L's fleet can run on the J/Z and M since it's route will be shorter and might not need as many cars. The G will need to more than double it's fleet to run more and longer trains. My guess is that they will put the R32's on the B, so that they can move some of the R68's from there to the G. They'll be wanting to minimize use of the R32 fleet and the B's fleet gets weekends off. They want to keep them on above ground routes, and the G is almost fully underground while the B is above ground for most of the run in Brooklyn. Since the R211's will be in all 5 car sets (10 car trains), they'll likely want to have the remaining R32's running on lines that require 10 car trains so that they can directly replace them and not have to move fleets around much.
 #1438691  by rr503

That's about what the consensus has been. I do question the wiseness of sending the notoriously unreliable 32s over the Manhattan Bridge though...

Also: the B and G already share fleets so what will almost certainly happen is that the 68/As from the B will go to the G during the L shutdown..
 #1438692  by trainbrain

I don't see it being any worse to send R32's over the Manhattan Bridge than sending them on any of the other East River crossing routes. They could also limit their use to rush hours only and have the R68's do all the rest. There are more than enough R179's to replace all non NTT equipment running on the C and J/Z, so they may not even keep them after the L train shutdown is over. According to the fleet assignments that are on Wikipedia, there are 696 cars needed for peak levels of service that can run in 8 car trains. Combining all the R143's, 4 car R160's, and 4 car R179's, there will be 840 cars available.
 #1438711  by rr503

It's a steep grade (5% in some places IIRC) usually taken at low speed and -- in the North side's case -- with no diversion routes. That's all I'm saying.

The 32/42s will almost certainly be gone once the L shutdown is over. Also remember that's around when the 211s start coming.
 #1438839  by trainbrain

Curious as to how they got the 42's up there. There is no connection between the L tracks and the M tracks at Myrtle Wyckoff Ave. Either they left a few sets in Fresh Pond Yard when they first shut the line down, trucked them from East New York to Fresh Pond Yard kind of like what was done with the Rockaway shuttle after Sandy, or sent them up there some time during the work when the tracks were still passable.
 #1438864  by GirlOnTheTrain

Since they were on the J, I believe they were run up there before the shut down. Definitely no hauling truckless on trucks a-la the 32's on the resurrected H.