Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1377815  by Idiot Railfan

Can anybody tell me the reasons for the track layout at the 34th Street station on the Seventh Ave Line? I've wondered why a platform was built between the uptown and downtown express tracks, while the local tracks are on separate platforms on the outside. This differs from most of the other stations where locals and expresses both stop. At those station, the platforms are between the local and express tracks of the same direction, so passengers just have to cross the platform to switch. But at 34th Street, changing from local to express requires going down the stairs to switch platforms. In other words, it seems like 34th Street was not designed with transfers between locals and expresses as a priority.

I'm sure the designers had there reasons. Anybody know what they were?
 #1377829  by Kamen Rider

If you want to change between tracks, you have 42nd street. why should you clog up people getting on and off at Penn? Same reason 34th & 8th and Atlantic have the same layout. you can change sides at the next stop.
 #1377900  by ExCon90

What I always found to be a minor irritant is that if you're coming from Penn Station and want to go to Times Sq. you have to guess whether a local or express will come along first and then make a firm commitment. Guessing wrong may cost you a whole minute or two--maybe more, and New York minutes are expensive. On the other hand, if you're going from Times Sq. to Penn Station and a local comes along, that side platform can save you a minute or two when you get to Penn Station.
 #1377903  by Nicholas Chen

If I want to get from Penn Station to Times Square I walk. :wink:
But in a serious matter, in a situation like this, isn't it possible to use those signs for the next train? It would work for the 1, 2, and 3, but for the A, C, and E it does require guessing.
The reason for the platforms are likely because Penn is meant for passengers coming off of LIRR, NJT, and Amtrak, whereas Times Square is meant for transfers between lines.
 #1384084  by GojiMet86

The platforms were designed as to alleviate crowding at the rush hours, when people go from the railroad to the subway and vise versa. I often get off there, not for Amtrak or the other railroads, but the crowding can be very stuffed.
 #1384140  by trainbrain

It's annoying when you're going to a close by express stop where there aren't many bypassed stations on the express, so it's better to take the first train that comes instead of committing to the local or express. If I'm going to a far away express stop, I take the express no matter what, and if I'm going to a close local stop, I take the local no matter what. If I'm going to a far local stop, I take the local if it comes first. If the express comes first, I'll take it and see if it catches up with the local train before it.
 #1384314  by ExCon90

Ah, but the problem I was talking about (at 34th St.) was guessing whether the first train would be a local or an express (if the new signs are accurate and up to the minute, that should resolve it) and decide which platform to choose before going upstairs, then watch the first train arrive at the other platform.
 #1384348  by rr503

I just stand on whichever platform the sign says will have the next train (but right at the end of the stairs), and then if it's wrong, I run and usually make it with time to spare :-D
I like to compare 34th to W 4th; one is a purpose built O/D station, the other is a purpose built transfer station (there isn't even an exit on west 4th!).
 #1384605  by zhaos

I don't understand the statement "you have 42nd street." What if you're heading southbound?

Isn't it just speculation that the platform design is to prevent transfers?

I think the real reason is that the subway tracks are too close to the surface. Express stops other than 34th Penn and Atlantic Center (2345) have a mezzanine for fare control. For the 34th Street and Atlantic Center stations, the underground train station forces the subway tracks to be closer to the surface, making building a mezzanine impossible. So the fare control goes directly to the local tracks, and the only way to go express is via underpasses.
 #1384681  by runningwithscalpels

That's what 14th street is for. 34th Street was designed to distribute passenger loads between the express and local...not to facilitate transfers.

Oh, and you know...you could use one of those countdown clocks that they so kindly have sprinkled throughout the A division...especially by the turnstiles when you swipe in on the 7th Avenue side from Penn...
 #1384698  by ExCon90

zhaos wrote:I don't understand the statement "you have 42nd street." What if you're heading southbound?

Isn't it just speculation that the platform design is to prevent transfers?

I think the real reason is that the subway tracks are too close to the surface. Express stops other than 34th Penn and Atlantic Center (2345) have a mezzanine for fare control. For the 34th Street and Atlantic Center stations, the underground train station forces the subway tracks to be closer to the surface, making building a mezzanine impossible. So the fare control goes directly to the local tracks, and the only way to go express is via underpasses.
That's what I always assumed was the reason--if there were the usual two island platforms the stairways to the street would have to be out in 7th Avenue, and the turnstiles would have to be on the platforms. As it is, you can at least get to the side platforms directly from the sidewalk.
 #1384749  by trainbrain

Both the stations with the unusual layout have another express station as the next stop. That's the stop where people should transfer. If going southbound on the express and transferring to the local or vice versa, just do so at 42nd Street before reaching 34th Street. If going northbound and you need to transfer between local and express, wait until 42nd Street. Since both the express and local stop at both stations, you're not going through any additional stops by transferring at 42nd Street instead of 34th Street.
 #1385326  by Kamen Rider

zhaos wrote:I don't understand the statement "you have 42nd street." What if you're heading southbound?
If you are head southbound and;

are entering the system at 34th street, why should it matter? If you want a local stop, get the local. otherwise you're on the center platform

are entering north of times square, just change at times square like you're supposed to.

if should not have to explain getting on at TSQ itself...