Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1237462  by BobLI

What kind of cars (R???) are being run on the Broad Channel test track? Its a 5 car set and is it for the motormen to train on the new equipment?
 #1237603  by Allan

BobLI wrote:What kind of cars (R???) are being run on the Broad Channel test track? Its a 5 car set and is it for the motormen to train on the new equipment?
I had heard from one of the other boards that someone saw R142A (now R188) cars 7211-7215 at Canal St yesterday. These are probably the 5 cars at the Broad Channel test track. I guess the new components needed a good uninterrupted (by stations and signals) test.
 #1254730  by 4400Washboard

BobLI wrote:What kind of cars (R???) are being run on the Broad Channel test track? Its a 5 car set and is it for the motormen to train on the new equipment?
They're R188s. I'm assuming they're doing crew training since they've been seen on youtube performing various tests on the IRT Dyre Line express tracks. By they time of your post, they've already gone through the 30-day program and were about to enter service at that time. They could've been converted R142As, but the 2nd (Or 3rd, I forget) was in testing around that time so it could've been one of the new R188s...