Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1200853  by Gilbert B Norman

Here is the link to the entire file as noted by Mr. Irwin, who is 'out' at his linked website; further allow me to note to Mr. Boylan - 'what a find!!!!!!!':

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/lweb/digital ... 82_000.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now regarding my immediate post, Mr. Google cannot find me anything regarding why the second set of tubes from Hudson Terminal were never built. As I noted at the posting, it appears that with the latest incarnation of WTC, they never will be.
 #1202918  by Terry Kennedy

[Mods - feel free to move this to the thread referred to by the poster I'm replying to.]
Gilbert B Norman wrote:Now regarding my immediate post, Mr. Google cannot find me anything regarding why the second set of tubes from Hudson Terminal were never built. As I noted at the posting, it appears that with the latest incarnation of WTC, they never will be.
Do you mean the second set that the H&M referred to as "E.B. Erie Tunnel" and "W.B. Erie Tunnel"? Some very short pieces were built, and 3 of them should still exist, with one being accessible.

There's 2 lined sections under Tunnel E (toward Newark). EB Erie crosses under E at 1187+99.79 (centerline to centerline) with very little clearance and WB Erie crosses under at 1182+85.21 (again, centerline to centerline). This second one is so close the outsides of the rings are touching. There's no access to these shown on the drawings - they were apparently hand-excavated when Tunnel E got to those points and then isolated. There's no connection between the sump pit at 1187+32.6 and either tunnel. Both sections are quite short (there's no chaining numbers because they aren't connected to anything) and are lined from somewhat past their northwest contact with Tunnel E to right where they pass under Tunnel E on the southest side, with additional "raw" (unlined) construnction a bit to the southeast of Tunnel E, presumably so future construction would know when it was coming up on Tunnel E. The drawings show a bulkhead in place at the west end of EB Erie but not at any of the other 3 ends.

Things get more interesting over in F. Just a bit inside the pier line, there are (were? This is from before the post-9/11 work) a pair of small "barn doors" on the left side of Tunnel F at 1137+88.5, which involved modified ring segments #2445 to #2449. They open into a short section shown as concrete-lined, about as wide as the inside of Tunnel F, which leads to an unlined excavation with no bulkheads. Since H&M / PATH signals don't use chaining distances, I'll give you the 2 closest signals so you'll know when to look. #241 is at 1132+51.3 and #243A is at 1141+71.1.

As to why these weren't completed, I don't have any hard evidence. The only reason to build these would be to eliminate the one intervening stop between WTC and Erie (Pavonia / Newport) at Pennsylvania (Exchange Place). I probably have the original Petition for Abandonment for it (to get back the bond they posted to the state) here somewhere. Those generally don't state a reason, though, just provide a notarized petition and a map of the route being abandoned. These are all on folded varnished linen map paper and are quite fragile, which is why I don't want to just rummage through the stack - and it's a big stack. This is an unrelated small one, only a few blocks, to give you an idea: