Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1111172  by 25Hz

erie910 wrote:I commuted on the Tubes off-and-on between 1966 and 1970, and steadily from 1970-mid-1973. When I was a kid, my Dad would take us to New York occasionally by train, and we would take the Tubes from the Erie terminal to 33rd St. When I left in 1973, and when I rode for my last time in early 2001, the NJ stations were Hoboken, Pavonia, Grove-Henderson, Exchange Place, Journal Square, Harrison, & Newark. The Exchange Place station has been confirmed as the location of the former Pennsy terminal. Was Grove-Henderson where the CNJ terminated?

What is at either of these locations now which continues to warrant a station? In the late 1970's and 1980's, there was an exodus of company offices from New York to New Jersey. Are either Exchange Place or Grove-Henderson near any office complexes which now host companies which fled NYC?
Grove has city hall 2 blocks away, plus its intersection with newark ave was for a long time the eastern end of development as rail yards & terminals spanned the rest of the way to the water. The CNJ terminal was/is much further south built on landfill across the morris canal basin. Exchange place historically was very important, but even during the years of decay after the new york terminal shut down & was demolished, there was still manufacturing & commercial activity going on in the area. Plus the fact that the area was never really dead, once the yards went silent they were bulldozed and office towers & etc built.

This might come to shock people not familiar with history in that area, but exchange place has always been an important transfer point all the way back to the first ferry that operated between there & manhattan. It's sad that so much manufacturing has been ejected and landed elsewhere and vain condo towers now takes its place. The only reason we even have an economy anymore is because service industry jobs can't be outsourced (for now). Makes you think.
 #1111532  by Terry Kennedy

The only station that saw a massive drop in use was Pavonia. I remember a time when off-hours PATH trains didn't stop there. The area around the station was pretty much a wasteland until the area began to be redeveloped. You can trace the history as the station was repeatedly renamed: Erie -> Pavonia -> Pavonia/Newport -> Newport. And the long-disused side platform was reopened with a big marketing campaign ("A Whole New Side to PATH"). Of course, the increased usage of that station makes it harder to undertake major repairs. A side-effect of that, however, is that the original acanthus leaf "E" columns are still there and in plain view.
 #1124826  by JimBoylan

As other replies have hinted, proposed H&M branches to the Central Railroad of New Jersey station at Liberty Park were never built. Instead, trains from that station were eventually rerouted to the H&M/PATH Newark Penn Station under the Aldene Plan near the end of April, 1967. Fares to Newark were priced 30 cents less than the old through train and ferry fares to New York, so the displaced passengers could afford the 30 cent tube fare.