Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1101541  by lirr42

Aditionally, big chunks of Manhattan below 39th street still have no power, so that could be impacting 6th Ave and WTC stations.
 #1101619  by MACTRAXX

Amtrak7 wrote:Found on Facebook, not sure of legitimacy:

EDIT: Offical source http://twitter.com/PANYNJ/status/263089 ... 72/photo/1
A7 and Everyone: This picture at Hoboken looks just like what happened back in December 1992...
I do think that Sandy is worse noting how much of the PATH tubes flooded with the storm surge...

It is going to take some time to get the PATH system back running...Ferries across the Hudson
will fare well until PATH resumes service...Good posts and insight here from all!

MACTRAXX
 #1101740  by 25Hz

lirr42 wrote:Aditionally, big chunks of Manhattan below 39th street still have no power, so that could be impacting 6th Ave and WTC stations.
Yea, the whole wtc area is all cordoned off. I would guess ny stations have no power, christopher street is likely flooded, as are the 3 riverside stations on the other side of the hudson. Dunno bout grove street. Who knows about the line along the river.
 #1101808  by Terry Kennedy

Late last night I heard Control on the radio talking about taking a car from C Yard uptown, so things may be getting better. PSE&G spent a lot of time Friday restoring some power to PATH. Be nice if they gave the rest of Jersey City some attention too- going on 6 days with no power here.
 #1102463  by lirr42

It's coming back! It's coming back! It's coming back!
Govenor of the State of New Jersey wrote:Port Authority Announces Commencement of Limited Trans-Hudson Service on PATH Beginning Tuesday, November 6, 2012

PATH will resume limited rail service on Tuesday, November 6, beginning at 5 a.m. Trains will run from Journal Square in Jersey City to 33rd Street in Manhattan and in the return direction until 10 p.m.

Stops will include:

Journal Square (Jersey City)
Grove Street (Jersey City)
Newport (Jersey City)
14th Street (Manhattan)
23rd Street (Manhattan)
33rd Street (Manhattan)

There will not be stops at Christopher and 9th streets in Manhattan. Disabled passengers will have access only to the platforms at Journal Square and 33rd Street.

Service remains suspended between Newark Penn Station and Journal Square, Hoboken, Exchange Place, and World Trade Center as recovery efforts are continuing.

The Port Authority cautions passengers to expect extended waits and potential service delays as PATH personnel and third-party contractors continue working around-the-clock to safely return the entire system to normal service. In an effort to minimize delays in operations, the Port Authority is waiving fares for Tuesday, November 6.

The PATH system suffered unprecedented and widespread flooding in the tunnels and at multiple stations, as well as power outages that shut down signals and switches. Crews continue to work to restore power and to pump water from some of the tunnels. 

The PATH rail system reported nearly 77 million commuter trips in 2011. It is our goal to return the system to a status of fully operational as soon as conditions safely permit. We appreciate the patience of our loyal passengers during this difficult time and pledge our continued efforts to return other stations and lines back to safe operation. For up to date information please go to our website http://www.panynj.gov/path/ and follow us on Twitter @PATHTweet.
Service map for tomorrow:
 #1102468  by lirr42

And here are answeres to some questions you may be asking:

1. I have a 7-day or 30-day unlimited pass on my SmartLink. Will I be credited for those days I was unable to use it?
  • Yes. SmartLink customers should contact the SmartLink Customer Service Center to receive a prorated credit.
    Telephone: 1-800-234-7284, option 4
    Email: [email protected] Provide your name, mailing address, telephone number and 20-digit SmartLink number (which appears on the back of the card).
2. I usually take PATH between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. What are my options now that PATH service ends at 10 p.m.?
  • We encourage customers to visit NJ Transit's website (http://www.njtransit.com) to learn about the transit options they offer during the hours PATH is not in operation.
3. When will the rest of PATH service be restored?
  • Due to widespread flooding in PATH tunnels, multiple stations, our car maintenance facility, as well as power outages that have shut down signals and switches, other PATH rail service continues to be suspended as we work to restore full service to the entire PATH system as soon as safely possible. PATH engineers, safety personnel, staff and third party contractors are working around-the-clock with the goal of providing additional service between New Jersey and New York as soon as safely possible.
4. Why is there no PATH service between Newark and Journal Square?
  • A large amount of floodwater damaged critical substation equipment located between Newark and Journal Square, making it impossible to run trains between these stations at this time. PATH engineers are repairing or replacing this equipment as quickly as safely possible.
5. Why is Hoboken Station not yet in operation?
  • An unprecedented amount of flooding experienced throughout Hoboken Station significantly damaged multiple types of equipment, including those for signaling and train control. PATH engineers are repairing or replacing this equipment as quickly as safely possible.
6. Why is the Exchange Place to World Trade Center line not yet in operation?
  • Exchange Place and World Trade Center stations both experienced an unprecedented amount of flooding, damaging multiple types of equipment, including those for signaling and train control. PATH engineers are repairing or replacing this equipment as quickly as safely possible. Hurricane Sandy caused more flooding in the tunnels than the terrorist attacks of 9/11.
7. Why is just the Journal Square to 33rd Street line running?
  • With widespread damage to substations between Newark-Penn Station and Journal Square, as well as unprecedented flooding in Hoboken, Exchange Place and World Trade Center, only the Journal Square to 33rd Street line can be opened at this time. Similar to the time immediately following the terrorist attacks of 9/11 and the flood of 1992, this line must operate while Christopher Street and 9th Street remain closed for safety (see question below).
8. Why are Christopher Street and 9th Street stations still closed?
  • Christopher Street and 9th Street stations, originally built in 1908, were not designed to handle the large crowd capacity that currently rides PATH today. Therefore, just like after the terrorist attacks of 9/11, these stations are closed because it is not safe to open them until more PATH service can be restored.
9. Which stations are handicap accessible?
  • Journal Square and 33rd Street.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
So some interesting developments. Hurricane Sandy caused more PATH flooding than the 9/11 terrorist attacks, which is significant (and a lot of water too!). Also 9th and Christopher Streets Stations are functional, they are just closed due to the really bad crowding they anticipate (the Island Platforms can't handle the crowds, I guess.)
 #1102730  by 25Hz

I wonder how their maintenance facility by the river fared.. and the right of way along the river bank? I can't see it not being washed out.
 #1103727  by MBTA1016

Based on the pic earlier of the platforms at WTC, that area in general couldnt have fared well. How is the WTC site holding up after this nor'easter?
 #1104443  by 25Hz

Last i heard they are still pumping water out of the whole WTC site.
 #1105161  by lirr42

PATH Service is set to be extended to Harrison and Newark Penn Station beginning Monday, November 12.

Trains will run from Newark Penn Station to 33rd Street, skipping Christopher and 9th Streets.
Trains run both directions from 5am to 10pm.
 #1105257  by R36 Combine Coach

The limited NWK-33rd operation beginning tommorow (11/12) is basically a repeat of the post-WTC service from 9/11/01 to the Exchange Place reopening (although HOB service to 33rd was also available).
 #1105782  by 25Hz

Are they using both tracks along the river, or is the one to the east OOS?
 #1106302  by lirr42

Limited service is set to resume to 9th Street tomorrow, Tuesday, November 13.
This station will be exit-only from 5am to 9:30am, after 9:30am, it will be open to entering and exiting passengers until 10pm. The Port Authority cited overcrowding at 14th Street for the opening of this station.

PATH service currently operates between Newark-Penn Station and 33rd Street, skipping Christopher Street, in both directions from 5am to 10pm.