Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1100053  by farecard

Kamen Rider wrote:but these cables were not ment to be submerged...
"These" meaning? Again, I propose:

a) Park pumper car on closest trackage with 3rd rail working.

b) Deploy a wheeled sled down into the water. Sled has large volume, low head pump, either submersible electric motor, or less efficient, air powered one.

c) Hose back to pumper is filled by above; with pumper keeping the head down to a few PSI.

d) Pumper pushes water to wherever it's going; up the track to a working drain, or to the street via a shaft, whatever.

I'd likely put a crawler motor on the sled as well, with long control cable; so crew can deploy it down the track without wet feet.

Of course, this assume NYCTA has "tiebreakers" or equivalent so the submerged sections of third rail can be isolated.
 #1100076  by Backshophoss

NYCTA has an proven system with the pump trains for years,this storm created the biggest mess to recover from.
Power supply (Con Ed)is returning in stages. The process will take time.

This is way out of the box,but could NYFD's fire boats assist by attaching suction lines to the pump intake,
they have a supersized GPH thru put.:) ;)
 #1100124  by ctclark1

farecard wrote:but there exist safe ways of doing this.
There is no safe way of energizing the third rail in salt water. Ignoring the risk to the manpower working down there moving your big suction hose around, (which is something that should never be ignored) if the energized portion goes into the submerged section, especially with salt water which is even more conductive than fresh water, you would no doubt almost immediately short out to the return path rails and blow fuses or worse. We're not talking insulated wires and watertight enclosures around lights, you're talking about bare metal in salt water conducting to bare metal.
 #1100152  by internaut

When the Pragues subway was flooded a couple of years ago, it took 6 months and more to fully restore traffic. I doubt that it is possible to restore any line within a few days...
 #1100178  by octr202

News as of late Tuesday/early Wednesday:

http://transportationnation.org/2012/10 ... tion-ever/

And video of South Ferry doing it's impression of Boston's Kenmore Station in 1996:

http://transportationnation.org/2012/10 ... ost-sandy/
 #1100209  by jbvb

The physical/engineering reason the pump trains submerge the cars is this: Hose that won't collapse under significant suction is *heavy* and inflexible, a lot like a pipe of the same diameter. Once you've got the water pressurized by the pump, you can use much lighter hose. But it still needs to be supported, and it will kick like a fury when the pump is turned on or off.
 #1100210  by lirr42

South Ferry:
(Photos credit: MTA Flickr)
 #1100212  by lirr42

lirr42 wrote:South Ferry:
...[12 really, really, really, really bad photos of South Ferry]...
I guess we won't be seeing trains down there anytime soon...
 #1100221  by lirr42

A look at the East River Tunnels, as posted in the LIRR forum:
lirr42 wrote:The MTA uploaded 2 videos onto its YouTube Channel Wednesday showing inside camera footage from the East River Tunnels:

You can view the video here: MTA Video Release: Hurricane Sandy - LIRR East River Tunnel (1 of 2)
You can view the video here: MTA Video Release: Hurricane Sandy - LIRR East River Tunnel (2 of 2)
 #1100231  by lirr42

Far Rockaway:
(NB: according to the Flickr pages, it says these are LIRR tracks, but they look a lot like NYCT tracks to me)
 #1100274  by Kamen Rider

farecard wrote:
Kamen Rider wrote:but these cables were not ment to be submerged...
"These" meaning? Again, I propose:

a) Park pumper car on closest trackage with 3rd rail working.

b) Deploy a wheeled sled down into the water. Sled has large volume, low head pump, either submersible electric motor, or less efficient, air powered one.

c) Hose back to pumper is filled by above; with pumper keeping the head down to a few PSI.

d) Pumper pushes water to wherever it's going; up the track to a working drain, or to the street via a shaft, whatever.

I'd likely put a crawler motor on the sled as well, with long control cable; so crew can deploy it down the track without wet feet.

Of course, this assume NYCTA has "tiebreakers" or equivalent so the submerged sections of third rail can be isolated.
"these cables" meaning the power feed cables. they're not water proof. they were never meant to be submerged. Salt water gets in there they are useless. your pump car with energized third rail would need to be parked about a mile away.

Please stop pretending you know better than the largest public transit provider in the western hemisphere.
 #1100280  by farecard

ctclark1 wrote:
farecard wrote:but there exist safe ways of doing this.
There is no safe way of energizing the third rail in salt water.
I'm not talking about doing so. Again, isolate the flooded sections. Draw power from an unflooded part of the third rail.
(Does NYCTA have "tie breakers" as WMATA does, to do just that?)
 #1100289  by Kamen Rider

the sections that have power are too far away from the flooded section. please stop using Metro as your basis for suggesting things for the MTA.

not switching the third rail on and useing a diesel is a million times safer. there is no risk for leaking current