Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1232385  by 25Hz

Don31 wrote:
25Hz wrote:
And Don, was wondering if you had those numbers for trip time and speed yet? I know NEC trains can do it decently but they usually don't get up above 45 due to how close they are and all the signals in the vicinity. An 8 car PA5 train could prolly get there faster i'm guessing.
I'll look when I go back to work tomorrow. If you don't hear from me, remind me please.....
Thanks and will do!

I also wanna compare it to other routes such as the GO 28 via NLR and 62 bus.
 #1233461  by lirr42

I have a question or two on the project, if allowable: has there been any further clarification on what the project's cost would be. Recently, I've heard "$2-4 billion" being floated around a lot, but I doubt a 2.5 mile extension to the airport would cost that much. Last I heard I thought the PA was expecting the project to cost something in the neighborhood of $600 million, but that was over a year ago.

It has also been kicked around that perhaps the airport would be better served if the PATH extension went straight to the terminals rather than the rail-link station. Since it seems that that is not in the cards as of now, are provisions being put into place so that one day the PATH could be extended to the airport terminals (i.e. when the AirTrain EWR's eventual replacement does become necessary, can they just extend the PATH further to the terminals or does the design involve dead-ending the line in front of a 10-foot thick slab of immovable concrete that cannot be extended?)

Thanks in advance for any information.
 #1233532  by Adirondacker

lirr42 wrote: Since it seems that that is not in the cards as of now, are provisions being put into place so that one day the PATH could be extended to the airport terminals (i.e. when the AirTrain EWR's eventual replacement does become necessary, can they just extend the PATH further to the terminals
They would still need Airtrain or an equivalent to get to the parking and car rentals and all the other stuff it connects to the terminals like the kiss-n-ride.
I haven't see the studies and I'm not gonna go looking for the threads here that may or may not have links to the studies. The ROW through the terminals is designed for short lightweight trains. In other words you can't put PATH trains up there. If you want to bring PATH trains to each of the terminals it would be very very very expensive. For very very low ridership. Roughly one third of what a central connection to Airtrain, at each terminal, would have.
 #1233690  by Don31

The previous work looked at several on-airport alternatives to serve the CTA. And the cost estimates, although several years old now, ranged between $550 million and $1 billion. But its anyone's guess as to what the current thinking is for any of this.....
 #1234029  by Don31

Thomas wrote:What is the change that the Port Authority instead uses money planned for the Path Extension to Newark Airport for other causes?
Hard to say. The PA operates at the whim of the two governors, so whatever their priorities happen to be at any given time would influence PA thinking.....
 #1234313  by Thomas

Don31 wrote:Hard to say. The PA operates at the whim of the two governors, so whatever their priorities happen to be at any given time would influence PA thinking....
Don, can you please inbox me any information regarding Path Extension to Newark Airport or the Gateway Project? Thanks!
 #1234575  by 25Hz

It is kind of exciting, with this extension being talked about, gateway starting some time in the next few years, and all of the NJT and amtrak improvements in NJ and NY... just a little patience goes a long way. In 15 years we may all be a bit older, but well be able to see completed or in-progress projects the likes of which have never been seen in several generations.
 #1234654  by Thomas

25Hz wrote:It is kind of exciting, with this extension being talked about, gateway starting some time in the next few years, and all of the NJT and amtrak improvements in NJ and NY... just a little patience goes a long way. In 15 years we may all be a bit older, but well be able to see completed or in-progress projects the likes of which have never been seen in several generations.
Lolz, don't jinx these projects!

But I wonder which project will get more support in the near future--Path Extension to Newark Airport or Gateway?
 #1234844  by 25Hz

Thomas wrote:
25Hz wrote:It is kind of exciting, with this extension being talked about, gateway starting some time in the next few years, and all of the NJT and amtrak improvements in NJ and NY... just a little patience goes a long way. In 15 years we may all be a bit older, but well be able to see completed or in-progress projects the likes of which have never been seen in several generations.

But I wonder which project will get more support in the near future--Path Extension to Newark Airport or Gateway?
Both are going to happen, just a matter of schedule. They are not being funded from the same places, so they aren't really connected.
 #1234877  by morris&essex4ever

25Hz wrote:
Thomas wrote:

Both are going to happen, just a matter of schedule. They are not being funded from the same places, so they aren't really connected.
I'll believe Gateway happens when I see it. The extension of PATH to EWR seems fare more likely to happen in the next 10 years.
 #1234920  by morris&essex4ever

Thomas wrote:
morris&essex4ever wrote:I'll believe Gateway happens when I see it. The extension of PATH to EWR seems fare more likely to happen in the next 10 years.
What makes you say that?
Because De Blasio will destroy NYC and bring it back to the bad old days of the 70's and 80's.
http://blog.nj.com/njv_paul_mulshine/20 ... ew_je.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seriously remember how ARC was a done deal before our wonderful governor cancelled it?
 #1235611  by 25Hz

morris&essex4ever wrote:
Thomas wrote:
morris&essex4ever wrote:I'll believe Gateway happens when I see it. The extension of PATH to EWR seems fare more likely to happen in the next 10 years.
What makes you say that?
Because De Blasio will destroy NYC and bring it back to the bad old days of the 70's and 80's.
http://blog.nj.com/njv_paul_mulshine/20 ... ew_je.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seriously remember how ARC was a done deal before our wonderful governor cancelled it?
Uh, gateway IS happening, it's not a matter of "if"....
 #1235665  by morris&essex4ever

25Hz wrote:
morris&essex4ever wrote:
Thomas wrote:
What makes you say that?

Uh, gateway IS happening, it's not a matter of "if"....
Just like ARC was going to happen?