Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1531762  by CP-4070

Are there underground stations left on the subway that are not ultra bright illuminated and have a rather grimmy appearance for photography?
 #1531812  by GirlOnTheTrain

Chambers Street BMT ;)
Although, they have boarded off the dingy abandoned platforms so it's disappointing compared to how it used to be.

Even stations like Hunter College on the 6 have raggedy tiles and non-Cuomofied lighting. Not sure how dingy you're looking for though.
 #1531820  by Roadgeek Adam

CP-4070 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:39 am Are there underground stations left on the subway that are not ultra bright illuminated and have a rather grimmy appearance for photography?
East 143 - St. Marys is dark in multiple areas.
 #1531974  by Head-end View

I agree about the Chambers St. BMT station. Especially considering that this station is effectively the "City Hall" station for the J and Z Lines, it is an absolute disgrace. How the TA never rehabbed this station is beyond understanding.
 #1532074  by Allan

Head-end View wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:57 pm I agree about the Chambers St. BMT station. Especially considering that this station is effectively the "City Hall" station for the J and Z Lines, it is an absolute disgrace. How the TA never rehabbed this station is beyond understanding.

There are some serious vibes coming from the TA that they will be doing some modernization of BMT Chambers St station including adding elevators.
I don't know any more details at this point (and with Andy B leaving who knows if any of the projects planned will happen or be slowed).