Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1397262  by Backshophoss

The M-2's were able to run on 25hz power,and carry a IRON core in the main transformer for that purpose.
you could be smelling fumes vented from the the main transformer.
After the changover to 60hz power on MN, the M-2's lost their MG sets to inverters for power to the HVAC,lights,battery charger,and
other aux systems,killing off any chance to run into NYPenn or anywhere on the former PRR/RDG catenary
You could be smelling gear oil fumes from the traction motor gear cases
 #1400108  by doepack

Visiting from suburban Chicago, the railfan gods blessed me when today's New Haven bound train 1524 showed up at Bridgeport with an eight car set of M2's. Rode in car 8737 to New Haven, then the set reversed into the yard after arrival. I missed them the last time I was in the NYC area (about 7-8 years ago), and certainly didn't expect to ride any this time around so having these show up was very cool, especially with most of the M2's retired and replaced. Definitely the highlight of my visit.

And as always, NYC's myriad subway & commuter trains provide such a nice change of pace from the relentless heavy haul freight traffic in my neck of the woods...
 #1400507  by Nasadowsk

Backshophoss wrote:The M-2's were able to run on 25hz power,and carry a IRON core in the main transformer for that purpose.
As opposed to what? Actually, modern transformer cores are steel laminates, with the alloys selected for their magnetic properties. There is no other technology at low frequencies.

I'd be surprised if it was vented fumes, I was under the impression those transformers were pretty well sealed. Keeps moisture out, and prevents any venting of explosive gases - the latter issue plagued some older British EMUs back in the early 60's, though rectifier arc backs and a misunderstanding of them contributed.

One you get high enough in frequency, you don't need a core - air core transformers were common in radios years ago, with ferrite slugs to tune the characteristics.
 #1402662  by Patrick A.

M2's were also partially overhauled under the CSR (Critical Systems Rebuild?) program in the late 2000's (forget the exact years), which greatly increased their reliability. M4s and M6s were slated to undergo the same program, but it was scrubbed due to lack of funds along with the M8s imminently arriving onto the property in significant number.
 #1403001  by bulk88

Backshophoss wrote:After the changover to 60hz power on MN, the M-2's lost their MG sets to inverters for power to the HVAC,lights,battery charger,and other aux systems,killing off any chance to run into NYPenn or anywhere on the former PRR/RDG catenary You could be smelling gear oil fumes from the traction motor gear cases
Why would the M2 inverters NOT take 25 hz as input assuming they aren't hooked upto the HV DC bus? Dont they have to take in 3rd rail DC power every day.
 #1431337  by ant6n

Visiting New York, I rode on the New Haven line. The 6543 train on Friday was served by M2 cars. I sat on 8705. This was a nice surprise, as I thought they'd all been retired. Apparently 24 cars (36 according to another source) are in the MNRR reserve fleet, so this was a pretty lucky catch.
 #1431399  by DutchRailnut

Again don't get your panties in twist, they will be running for at least 3 more years till next batch of M-8's comes in .
 #1432848  by R36 Combine Coach

Patrick A. wrote:M2's were also partially overhauled under the CSR (Critical Systems Rebuild?) program in the late 2000s which greatly increased their reliability. M4s and M6s were slated to undergo the same program, but it was scrubbed due to lack of funds along with the M8s imminently arriving onto the property in significant number.
2003-2008. The M-4s were supposed to have their CSR program in 2009, but dropped.

Only cars left now are 8700 series CSR pairs.
 #1442686  by SeanW

Hi everyone.

I am in the NY/Connecticut area for a week or so and am interested in the old railcars. Are the remaining M2s scheduled on particular services? What would be my best chance to see/ride them?