Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1373793  by Backshophoss

As long as the material is NOT disturbed,the car is safe for use,
Removal of the material requires HAZ-MAT type procedures and disposal. VERY EXPENSIVE!
Most Museums would not have the $$$ for that to be done.
 #1373809  by DutchRailnut

asbestos is inside high voltage section near pantograph, as long as its inside no problem, but if car were to be donated MTA would keep being liable no matter what kind of disclaimers they have signed by museums.
if someone were to work on the car 20 years from now and get sick, MTA would get sued, as it is a known problem.
same with transformers, despite having been flushed they will always keep trace amounts of PCB's in them.
 #1392607  by DutchRailnut

no asbestos can not be removed , yes transformer can be removed, and no non will be donated..
 #1395648  by Jeff Smith

Per the Unofficial Metro North Facebook Page all the M6's are gone. The source was an employee newsletter:
At the stroke of midnight the last of our 48-car M6 fleet recently departed from track 6 in New Haven. The final journey began when a CSX freight locomotive pulled the seven remaining cars (nos. 9019-9069-9018-9010-9065-9061 and 9011) from the station. For three weeks, those last and final cars traveled over 500 miles before arriving at their destination, the Frontier Industrial Corp. (aka FICX) in Ashtabula, Ohio.
In service for 22 years, the entire M6 fleet had reliably served millions of our customers

The fleet of A, B and D cars (there were no C’s), was originally built by the Morrison Knudsen Company of Boise, ID, as a triplet Electric Multiple Unit (EMU, a train that consists of self-propelled carriages).

Metro-North began removing the M6 fleet from service three years ago as new M8 trains arrived to replace them.

Previously parts of our discontinued fleet have gone on to even greater service. Among them, two cars (nos. 9014 /9015) were donated to the Connecticut Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection, and another two cars (nos. 9030/9031) found a new home at the MTA Canine Training Academy in Stormville, NY where they will continue in public service for years to come.
Story by Jim Heimbeucher and Gina Bigelow
Not sure what, if anything, is left of the 2's and 4's.
 #1397220  by Travelsonic

Two stinky quandaries I have been pondering lately:

- Whenever a consist of M2s passes by, I notice there is an odor that lingers in the air for at least a few seconds after the train has passed - what is it that I am smelling? Not a burning smell, kind of a gritty oily electrical smell.... ugh, I have no idea how to describe the smell.
- I wonder why the Morrison-Knudsen M6s seemed, to me, to have a real odor control problem where the bathrooms were concerned. I mean, yes the M2s and 4s, particualrly as they aged, weren't perfect, but comparatively, it seemed like odor control was a lot worse with the M6s.