Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1514762  by Ridgefielder

Jeff Smith wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:42 pm I suppose you could, but why though? I'm not sure of the asbestos remediation status in the cars. There's really no point in maintaining them for that purpose.

Maybe the Danbury mayor can get CtDOT to string some catenary on the Maybrook to run his shuttle over to Brewster lol.
Don't give him any ideas!
 #1514855  by NaugyRR

It would be neat though, almost like an interurban kind of feel
 #1514860  by DutchRailnut

it would run out of parts real real quick guaranteed.
 #1514903  by DutchRailnut

again even New Canaan has not seen single pair operation for two decades. the Risk of signal problems due to not shunting and Crossing activations simply did no longer warrant using singles and both FRA and MN agreed to limiting trains to 4 car minimum.
 #1515123  by DutchRailnut

and were would they tow it, to fence line ?
they have no rights outside the gate.
 #1515295  by CRail

DutchRailnut wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:30 pmthe Risk of signal problems due to not shunting and Crossing activations simply did no longer warrant using singles and both FRA and MN agreed to limiting trains to 4 car minimum.
So I suppose if they have to send an engine out for a rescue they'll have to find 4 cars to send with it? Such an excursion wouldn't have to run at track speed and could run under the restrictions of a light engine move. Guarantee they'll run out of parts? Why? I'm not sure how many car preservations you've been involved in but I've got several under my belt and in every one obtaining parts and maintenance procedures is part of the acquisition. How much of a parts supply will 2 cars with minimal if any mileage need?
 #1515303  by DutchRailnut

engine has much more weight than a pair of MU cars.
 #1639402  by gregorygrice

Jeff Smith wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:49 am The survivors:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C3xdBj7r-Lq ... ZrZTM5Zw==
There are two at the MTAPD K9 training facility in Stormville, NY (the last "train" to travel over the Beacon connection in that area) and two at the Camp Hartell National Guard facility in Windsor Locks, CT.