Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1473021  by TDowling

Out Of all the projects/proposals being undertaken on the PJL, the woodbury common station makes the most sense. This should have been done years ago. One weekend shuttle to and from Harriman to the mall is grossly insufficient and inconvenient.
 #1495301  by DutchRailnut

they just got overhauled in last 10 years, other than Commuter council asking for new power and MLV's no MTA plan has been mentioned to replace the units yet.
 #1542382  by Jeff Smith

Port Jervis train station project on schedule: RecordOnline.com
PORT JERVIS - MTA Metro-North Railroad announced this week that work to improve Port Jervis Station, the terminus of the West of Hudson Port Jervis Line, is on schedule, with site preparation completed and demolition nearly done.

The project is part of the 2015-19 Capital Program and station investments and will make the Port Jervis Station the first along the Port Jervis Line to have a high-level platform in place. Communications and signal projects on the Port Jervis Line to support Positive Train Control were also completed last month with the cab signaling put into service for the entire 60-mile line.
 #1542665  by CentralValleyRail

njt/mnrrbuff wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 2:43 pm This is great news for those people who are boarding and getting off trains in Pt. Jervis. Hopefully more stations along the Pt. Jervis Line can get high level platforms.
All 30 people?

The funds work etc should be dedicated to getting more service up to Harriman and building a second yard.
 #1542733  by Pensyfan19

Is this an actual station rebuild or are they just redoing the platforms? What else are they working on other than a high level platform?
 #1542740  by Jeff Smith

Pensy, I recommend you do some searches as well, which could answer your questions. Here's what I came up with:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Jerv ... _Railroad)

The old station was not used by MNRR (although the Wiki article is not clear, as MNRR wasn't even a railroad until 1983 (taking over from Conrail for EOH, with WOH being contracted to NJT).

MNRR page: http://as0.mta.info/mnr/stations/station_detail.cfm

I assume this "Amshack" aka a bus shelter, is being replaced, but anything would be an improvement.

Google Street View

^This doesn't look THAT bad. But if you'd bothered to follow the link: https://www.recordonline.com/news/20200 ... n-schedule you'd have seen this as well as the above fair-use quote:
The contract was awarded in December 2019 and is expected to be completed by December 2020. Improvements include a high-level platform to help with boarding, a new ramp for the handicapped, canopy and passenger shelter with art components. Parking lot improvements include new sidewalk and curbing along the new station. Pay meters and ticket vending machines will be relocated for more convenient access.
I also found this using Google, which contained the same content above: MassTransitMag.com[/b]

Don't forget the MTA/MNRR web-site, although frankly it's atrocious at finding things.

The point is, I'll post news and updates I get alerts on; don't expect others to do your research for you, Google is your friend LOL. You can look for answers as well, and post them here. I appreciate the inquisitiveness and energy in any case.
 #1542767  by Pensyfan19

Ok. Thank you. I tried to find a few sketches of this proposed project on google images but I couldn't find anything. Thank you for providing this information. I would prefer using the original Port Jervis station, and to use part of the field to restore a few tracks there for passenger storage.
 #1575689  by Pensyfan19

Status update on the new Port Jervis Platform. Definitely looks unique when compared to the other platforms on the Metro North, and almost reminds me of the renovated NYC subway entrances within the past few years.