Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1334860  by AMK0123

Just thought I would pass this along. Today I saw and spoke to a group from Sperry Rail Services. They happened to have several pieces of equipment on the beacon line today in Brewster, near the Crosby Ave crossing. After talking to some of the employees, they advised that they now have permission and are using the Beacon line from the CT state line all the way to the Route 164 in Patterson, NY overpass (were the rail is cut) for training of there crews. They stated that the paperwork had been filed and they will be using it periodically to train there crews before they go out into the field. Believe they stated they would be back on the line on Thursday. They stated they have also contacted HRRC about using there portion of the Beacon line so they can go right from Danbury over, however they're still working out the legal paperwork. I know the chances of ever seeing a train are slim to none, but it was still nice seeing something riding over the rails. Also, due to the adjacent work on the right of way for a walking trail they have cleared much of the trees and you can now get a better view of the line if anyones interested..
 #1334866  by Steamboat Willie

I got word fairly recently that MNR signal department were testing the crossings within the last few weeks in the Danbury area that the Housey tracks to over (Maple Ave, White St, Balmforth Ave.) It could be routine maintenance as well. Even though the tracks in the area I mention look derelict and unused - make no mistake HRRC has a history of not playing well with MN.
 #1334867  by DutchRailnut

HRRC does not play well with anything or anybody, be it Metro North, P&W State of Connecticut or any of its towns along the lines.
As for Sperry I believe there is a requirement to notify both putnam and dutchess county of any move at least 12 hours in advance, due to rails for trails.
 #1335164  by Railroader

Steamboat Willie wrote:I got word fairly recently that MNR signal department were testing the crossings within the last few weeks in the Danbury area that the Housey tracks to over (Maple Ave, White St, Balmforth Ave.) It could be routine maintenance as well. Even though the tracks in the area I mention look derelict and unused - make no mistake HRRC has a history of not playing well with MN.
MNR signal has always tested the crossings from wildman to segar st. Most of the testing is done at night so not to inturupt traffic. The crossings are tested once a month per fra regulations.
 #1335274  by Kurt

Since the Beacon Line hasn't been used in ages (other than some MOW storage around Dyckman) wouldn't there be too much rust on the rails? Or is this to get the operators used to moving equipment over rail, or setting up Hi Rail equipment both getting on and off the track?
 #1338904  by YamaOfParadise

I don't think that rust (on the rails) is the biggest potential obstacle that could physically impede the operability of the tracks. Trees are literally a physical barrier that affects the Beacon line regularly, but the number one thing that the tracks need to do is to support the weight of whatever is going over them - to transfer the force into the ballast/ground so that it can dissipate. So the condition of the ties, and the roadbed underneath, would be of larger concern than rusty rails... though, of course, rusting can lead to the breakage of rails, which isn't good either.

On another note, does the Beacon Line have a signalling system? I know I've at least seen signals on the line that look like they are maintained (i.e.: this signal in Beacon near NY 9D), but I wouldn't have otherwise guessed the line to be signalled.
 #1338912  by Backshophoss

The Maybrook was CTC back in the NH days,the branch to Beacon was manual block,now only "working"
track circuts are for the grade crossings.
After the Poughkeepsie bridge fire,the Maybrook CTC was allowed to "rot" in place by PC.
The switch at Dykemans on the Maybrook/Beacon side was a hand throw to CP Dyke on the
Harlem Line.
 #1338961  by DutchRailnut

non of New York crossings are activated anymore all power was removed.
the distance signal in Beacon is dark but in this case still means same in rule book. as failed signal must be acted upon as its most restrictive indication.
 #1338969  by Fishrrman

RE:
[[ I know I've at least seen signals on the line that look like they are maintained (i.e.: this signal in Beacon near NY 9D), but I wouldn't have otherwise guessed the line to be signalled. ]]

That is (or was) the old "distant signal" for westbound trains approaching CP 58.

I went by it with freight trains many times...
 #1339548  by Kurt

I should have worded my question a bit clearer...The amount of rust on the rails will not effect operation over them, like trees, ties, and ballast would. I was referring to the ability of Sperry to operate their testing equipment thru the rust. I had read somewhere that Sperry tried to test the Beacon Line years ago, but there was too much rust on the rails for their equipment to test it properly.
 #1339675  by DutchRailnut

actually they did test after mn ran a train with ballast hoppers over line and water world next day .
there is lots of other things previously mentioned that will prevent movement of trains now.
 #1339679  by AMK0123

DutchRailnut wrote:actually they did test after mn ran a train with ballast hoppers over line and water world next day .
there is lots of other things previously mentioned that will prevent movement of trains now.
Yes, especially like the rail being cut at Route 164 and Route 311 bridges....
DutchRailnut wrote:HRRC does not play well with anything or anybody, be it Metro North, P&W State of Connecticut or any of its towns along the lines.
As for Sperry I believe there is a requirement to notify both putnam and dutchess county of any move at least 12 hours in advance, due to rails for trails.
Yes, that's pretty much what the guys from Sperry said. They said they deal with numerous railroads and HRRC is one of the worst to deal with, so the chances of them running from Danbury over to the state line are slim to never. As far as the rail that they have checked from the state line to Patterson, NY they stated that the rail itself is in rather good shape. The down fall of the line is need for tie replacement and reballasting. Also of note, today 7/16, I observed a Metro North hi-rail vehicle traveling past Route 52 in Fishkill, heading toward Beacon. Was wondering, I know the line still needs to have a track patrol, however on this line how often does this need to happen, once, twice, three times a year.
 #1339680  by DutchRailnut

not sure , probably just preceding a move, probably MofW to hopewell training facility.
 #1341280  by DutchRailnut

Metro North, so bridges could be raised and no more damage would be done, by trucks hitting the bridges.
there was no plan to offer any service or move trains so no harm was done.