Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1250735  by DutchRailnut

It loops around because from north end of Whaley lake to Hopewell Jct is just about steepest on any line of MNCR.
It loops because of grade and it goes around a few mountains that are in way near Green Haven Prison.
The line was bought for rail banking (future use) and as right of way for MNCR fiber optic cable teeing all 3 lines together in case of emergencies.
The line needs multi million in upgrades including bridges and crossings , currently there is no market for such service.
 #1250775  by Jeff Smith

I'd also recommend searching this forum for Beacon Line; you'll find lots on it, as well as in some of the fallen flag forums like NH, NYC; or try the NYS railfan. Some has been converted to rail trail (we have a rail trail forum) as well.
 #1251156  by metroduff

you might also want to take a look at the USGS topo maps for the area to understand why the line was laid out the way it is, and google Maybrook line (which is what the portion from Hopewell to Brewster was part of) for more information ... as close to mountain railroading as Metro-North (and the New Haven RR) gets ...
 #1252153  by TCurtin

The route was surveyed and constructed by the New York & New England RR, completed in 1881. New Haven upgraded and double tracked it --- but DID NOT relocate any trackage --- in 1903-1905. New Haven's surveyors attempted to find a more desirable route but they ultimately determined that the NY&NE had the best one. The RR tops out at 744 feet at a spot called "Reynolds" between Whalley lake and Holmes. That is and always has been THE lowest grade all-rail route into southern New England.

Look for an article in the NHRHTA Shoreliner to appear in 2014 which will tall the whole story extensively
 #1294305  by Joke Insurance

I hope that this is okay to ask on this thread, but does anyone know where I can view a map of the Beacon Line? I've already used Google Search, but had no luck there.

Thank you.
 #1294369  by Backshophoss

Follow the Harlem line from the Southeast(Brewster North) station,at CP DYKE(CP #?)follow the cross over to the Beacon(Maybrook)
line there. The Harlem and Beacon are roughly close together for a couple of miles,just south of Patterson,the Beacon crosses over
the Harlem line heading NW to Hopewell Jct.
 #1294414  by F-line to Dudley via Park

This is kind of a macro-view, but. . .

Here's the official NYDOT state rail map: https://www.dot.ny.gov/divisions/operat ... %20Map.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zoom in on the southern edge of Dutchess County, and you'll see the Beacon. Track connections are marked on the map at Beacon, Dykemans, and Danbury and the line is tagged as Metro North ownership (with disused but still on-paper freight trackage rights by Housatonic RR), then flipping to Housatonic ownership at the state line with MNRR trackage into Danbury where MNRR rights end. You can see from the map that even though the Harlem and Beacon crisscross and hug each other through much of Putnam County, Dykemans is the only actual junction between the two.
 #1295186  by Trainer

For those who may not have seen this, it's a cab's eye view of sections of the Beacon. I don't think that much of this is still active.

1990 Cab Ride on Conrail NHSE Across the Maybrook Line and Beacon Branch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r99f-Rs-0w4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1302857  by truck6018

Rt 9 crossing is definitely not paved over. The last time Rt 9 was resurfaced the blacktop was brought pretty darn close to the running rails but not paved over.
 #1302871  by DutchRailnut

and they can't pave it over, cause MofW equipment has to be able to get to MofW training facility in Hopewell Jct yard.
 #1302953  by robmcalpine

So the MofW equipment comes up from the river line to Hopewell Junction?
How often does that happen? Is there a set schedule?

Thanks,
Rob
 #1302955  by DutchRailnut

no schedule, but equipment needs to be cycled due to maintenance, repairs etc.
 #1307947  by AMK0123

Observed a high rail pickup on the Beacon line today. Vehicle was checking from Brewster to the CT state line. Caught it around 1500 hours going up to the state line. Assume with the markings of SRS it was owned by Sperry. Last time I saw Sperry checking the line was a few years back with there Doodlebug, believe number 129. That piece of equipment was tied down in the Brewster yard a week or so ago so I guess Sperry is doing a complete check of the Metro North system. Just figured I'd pass this info along for anyone interested...
 #1308837  by bigK

I hope that this is okay to ask on this thread, but does anyone know where I can view a map of the Beacon Line? I've already used Google Search, but had no luck there.
I had done an annotated map of the Dutchess county section of the BL (with detail sub maps) for a presentation I had done - I took the map graphic and put in a separate doc in PDF - this will allow for zooming

here is the link to this doc on my special trans Dutchess rail website: http://tdr.bigk12603.com/DOCUMENTS/PDF/ ... P_rev2.pdf