Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#626659  by Frank

Since CDOT just recently purchased 8 P40s that were once leased to them, I'm just wondering, will they replace the GP40-2Hs?
 #626696  by DutchRailnut

Most likely, the GP40-2h and FL9 are no longer compliant with EPA rules and the 567 and 646 engines can not be made tier 0 compliant without loosing significant horsepower.
 #626735  by Clean Cab

Don't scrap those GP40s just yet. They were supposed to be replaced by the BL-20GH's, and then be relegated to yard switching work. But as we all know the Brookvilles ain't exactly holding up as well as one had hoped. The one time they operated them on the shoreline (test train) they had a ton of problems with the ACSES system. The "rebuilt" P40s will evetually take over all SLE trains, but their reliability is also an issue.
 #626752  by DutchRailnut

The BL20gh was never designated to become a replacement for GP40-2h, The Bl20 is a MNCR pool locomotive, with its only purpose of ACSES to be available as rescue power on SLE if MNCR would get SLE services.
 #627051  by BiggAW

I don't know what their future plans are, but at the moment, they are running some of each. I doubt the GP-40's will be scrapped, as they are still decent locomotives. Whether CDOT will keep them on SLE, use them for something else, or sell them, I can't say.
 #627655  by MN-P32AC-DM-201-227

These locomotives were re-built in 1996 from GP-38's to GP40's they still have life in them. The problem is, like Duch has stated in the past parts are becoming an issue, as well as the EPA. For a commuter RR to operate and function they need equipment that is reliable, and that can be fixed in a timely matter. If the locomotive parts are not available then you will have large hunks of steel just sitting around. These locomotives would be great for a short line.
 #628556  by Tadman

I would suspect someone like LTEX or NRE will buy them, de-turbo them, and resell them to an outfit that has a shortline(s). I've been told by shortline brass friends that the GP38 is worth 2-3 times the GP40 because of turbo maintenance issues. Hard to believe the diff, but my friend has had positions at Class I's and shortlines.
 #628732  by DutchRailnut

even on shortlines these units would not comply with EPA rules, so draw your own conclusion as to what may happen to them.
 #629427  by Tadman

Then the bodies become a Gillette product, the frames become genset switchers, and the PM is sold to a tugboat outfit that isn't subject to EPA rules - 'nother country probably. 645's are the predominant marine power I hear.
 #629430  by NortheastTrainMan

DutchRailnut wrote:even on shortlines these units would not comply with EPA rules, so draw your own conclusion as to what may happen to them.
That's pitiful a pure shame. :( I hope the same doesn't happen to the GP40PH-2As and GP40PH-2Bs
 #629578  by Otto Vondrak

DutchRailnut wrote:even on shortlines these units would not comply with EPA rules, so draw your own conclusion as to what may happen to them.
a) Toyotas

b) razor blades

c) museum fodder
 #630766  by BiggAW

If the GP-40s aren't meeting the EPA rules, I'd hate to see what the emissions of the P40's look like. Although you can't see some types of pollution, the visible particulates coming out of the P40s are a lot worse than the GP40s. Both types of locos need some serious engine work and exhaust gas treatment to eliminate visible particulate emissions. That being said, I saw a GP-40-2H smoking it up in OSB a few weeks ago, it was a downright frigid day, so it must have been because of HEP for heating because the train wasn't moving. They have separate HEP engines, unlike F40's and P40's, right?
 #630954  by FL9AC

The Genesis models as stated in the last post use power from the prime mover for HEP, the GP40's have a seperate HEP generator, as well as the FL-9's, F10's, and even the BL20GH's.
 #630965  by DutchRailnut

BiggAW wrote:If the GP-40s aren't meeting the EPA rules, I'd hate to see what the emissions of the P40's look like. Although you can't see some types of pollution, the visible particulates coming out of the P40s are a lot worse than the GP40s. Both types of locos need some serious engine work and exhaust gas treatment to eliminate visible particulate emissions. That being said, I saw a GP-40-2H smoking it up in OSB a few weeks ago, it was a downright frigid day, so it must have been because of HEP for heating because the train wasn't moving. They have separate HEP engines, unlike F40's and P40's, right?
The P40's are 4 stroke engines which after a rebuilt will comply with EPA tier 1 requirements, the NJT units hardly smoke,
The GP40 or any EMD for that matter are two stroke engine, one of most polluting engine in world, making them compliant drops horsepower by significant %%