Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1448343  by shadyjay

Using NHV-OSB on SLE and NHV-HFD on the Hartford Line as reference:

NHV-OSB
rail distance: 33 miles+/-
one-way fare (existing): $7.25

NHV-HFD:
rail distance: 37 miles+/-
one-way fare (proposed): $8.00
 #1448347  by Train322

Probably close. The SLE fare is just a small amount lower than proposed Hartford line.
Generally, SLE is in a wealthier area and MN is in a wealthier area also.

Still - MN probably has a higher cost structure but they do have the advantage of a premium fare into Manhattan.

This new line will have a much better fare-box operating ratio than SLE but not nearly MN's New Haven line which in 2014 was in the 69% range while SLE was which is about 7%.

I still think Hartford line will be in the 30-50% range. I think the target was in the 20's. (not sure).

I
 #1448355  by bdawe

Train322 wrote: while SLE was which is about 7%.
The SLE only collects 7% of it's expenses in fares?

why even bother with the trouble of having fares?
 #1448586  by eastwind

Will there be separate peak and non-peak fares similar to Metro-North?
Will there be through ticketing to points beyond New Haven?
 #1448593  by BandA

The Springfield Line is 60.5 Miles from New Haven (according to Amtrak). $12.75/60.5 = 21¢/mile, which I believe is about the same as the New Haven Line. MA is not contributing, so the segment north of the border shouldn't be subsidized by CT, but since it is only about 3 miles it doesn't matter much.

You can't drive your car for 21¢ a mile. Figure 10¢ a mile for gas + 10¢ a mile for oil changes + 0.8¢ a mile for tires + 5¢ a mile for maintenance. That's not even counting insurance or capital costs. Now, for ConnDOT to get to 100% farebox recovery would probably be more than driving.
 #1448598  by BenH

The IRS's 2017 Standard Mileage rate for operating a vehicle is $0.535/mile. (note that this rate does not include tolls or parking, if any)
The standard mileage rate for business is based on an annual study of the fixed and variable costs of operating an automobile.
REF: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2017-stand ... -announced

Using the current IRS rate, the average cost to drive a personal vehicle between Springfield and New Haven is about $32 -- which is about 3 times higher than the proposed price of a full fare adult ticket on the CTrail Hartford Line.

Also, please see this document which breaks out the proposed CTrail Hartford Line fares at the "per mile" level.
http://www.ct.gov/dot/lib/dot/Hartford_ ... 202017.pdf
 #1448636  by GirlOnTheTrain

Peak fares only apply to travel to/from Manhattan at certain times, so why on earth would CDOT charge peak fares for Springfield to New Haven? I would guess they would work out a uni-Ticket thing like you can do with SLE tickets if you are continuing past New Haven, particularly since they are peddling that this will have MN connections (not Amtrak Regional connections unless it's a remaining Amtrak shuttle - contrary to certain people's opinions around here) - but only the New Haven to 125/GCT portion would be subject to peak fare rules.
 #1448640  by deathtopumpkins

If you actually look at the proposed fares (http://www.ct.gov/dot/lib/dot/CTrail_Ha ... 192017.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) you'll see that they will be doing UniRail ticketing with both SLE and MN, but there is no discount.

No peak fares though.
 #1448645  by CVRA7

There was a time when you could go to a station - at least the larger stations - and purchase a ticket for a journey over a number of different railroads - this was called an interline ticket, and this was done way back before computer access. One would think that in the age of computers, interline ticketing would be an easy thing to administer. Amtrak does interline ticketing to a slight degree, much of it with selected bus connections. One rare rail exception was over N J Transit from Philadelphia over the ex PSRL to Atlantic City. Also into Toronto on Via Rail Canada. There seems to be no will to do it in Connecticut between the various rail carriers, except Amtrak could sell Shore Line East - possibly because Amtrak operated that service, although Amtrak agents could not issue tickets on most other Amtrak-operated commuter carriers, such as when they operated MBTA Commuter Rail in the Boston area. During my decades in ticketing I heard a lot of complaints from Amtrak passengers not being able to purchase tickets for connecting Metro-North service from New Haven. I don't know how ticketing will be handled for this new CT Rail Hartford line service outside of seeing announcements for ticket vending machines being located at each station plus cash fares on the train.
I looked at the link to proposed Hartford Line fares but couldn't see any reference to any "Uniticket" offering.
 #1448652  by deathtopumpkins

CVRA7 wrote:I looked at the link to proposed Hartford Line fares but couldn't see any reference to any "Uniticket" offering.
It's the very last table. Clearly headed "UniRail Fares". I've attached a screenshot of it.
 #1448656  by CVRA7

[quote="deathtopumpkins"][quote="CVRA7"]I looked at the link to proposed Hartford Line fares but couldn't see any reference to any "Uniticket" offering.[/quote]

It's the very last table. Clearly headed "UniRail Fares". I've attached a screenshot of it.[/quote]

Thanks. I was actually looking for something a little bet more usable to someone - for example - wanting to find the price from Hartford to South Norwalk. I don't see much "Uni" if you have to visit two web sites to get the answer.
Looks like the one ways Uni fares are just the regular fares on the HFD Line, no O W discount to other points beyond New Haven.