Hartford Line CtDOT New Haven-Springfield - NHHS (Before Launch of Service)

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, Jeff Smith, FL9AC

daybeers

Re: Hartford Line CtDOT New Haven-Springfield - NHHS

Post by daybeers » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:34 pm

The route is actually 62 miles long: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Haven ... field_Line. I don't remember how much of it is set to be double tracked.
Last edited by GirlOnTheTrain on Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please don't quote the post right before yours.

lpetrich

Post by lpetrich » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:46 pm

In close agreement with the Google Maps highway distance for NH-Springfield: 64 mi.

From New Haven - Hartford - Springfield Rail Program: Interactive Program Map, it looks as if most of the work is being done south of Windsor.
Last edited by lpetrich on Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Train322

Post by Train322 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:35 pm

The double track will include the sections that kept double tracked prior to the track removal in 1991/1992.

From New Haven, approx 7 miles into North Haven were double, a few miles in Meriden, north end of Hartford to Parkville and from just north of Windsor to just south of Windsor Locks as well as the Mass section (probably 7-8 miles).

The new double track will be New Haven to Parkville in Hartford, just north of the Hartford station to just south of Windsor Locks and in Mass.

Kilo Echo

Post by Kilo Echo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:28 pm

There's a new website for the Hartford Line: http://www.hartfordline.com.
Mind the gap

lpetrich

Post by lpetrich » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:13 pm

The Hartford-Line site states that service will start in May of this year. Here are the stations:
  • New Haven
  • State Street - C *
  • North Haven - D
  • Wallingford - C *
  • Meriden - C *
  • Berlin - C *
  • Newington - D
  • West Hartford - D
  • Hartford
  • Windsor - D *
  • Windsor Locks - D *
  • Enfield - D
  • Springfield
C = construction, D = design, * = will be in service
New Haven, Hartford, and Springfield are already in service

DutchRailnut

Post by DutchRailnut » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:39 pm

a lot might change due to indefinite postponement of just about all transportation projects in Ct. but keep on watching it might not be pretty.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.

GirlOnTheTrain

Post by GirlOnTheTrain » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:52 pm

Yeaaaahhhhh....how do they figure Windsor & Windsor Locks will be in service???
"I am no longer just a girl on the train, going back and forth without point or purpose."

Moderator: Amtrak, MTA Metro-North, MTA New York City Subway/PATH/NYC Area Light Rail

Patrick A.

Post by Patrick A. » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:27 pm

GirlOnTheTrain wrote:Yeaaaahhhhh....how do they figure Windsor & Windsor Locks will be in service???
I imagine it means they’ll use the existing stations in the interim until design and construction is comeplete.
I have lived to ride on the M8.

Complete Constant Tension on the New Haven Line ETC: Mid-2018

shadyjay

Post by shadyjay » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:28 pm

Windsor and Windsor Locks are already existing Amtrak stations, therefore they are grandfathered in, in regards to having low level single sided platforms. The majority of the new service is occurring between New Haven and Hartford, with some of those new trains extending north to Springfield, thus using Windsor and Windsor Locks. No, they don't have the fancy new "up and overs", new parking areas, and won't be fully handicapped accessible, but they are still functioning railroad passenger stops and have been all along, since the dawn of Amtrak, and prior.

Phase III involves the double-tracking from just south of Windsor Locks, north to Enfield (except the Conn River Bridge), plus the upgrading of Windsor and the relocation of Windsor Locks station back to downtown. That phase is currently on hold, indefinitely.

lordsigma12345

Post by lordsigma12345 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:57 pm

Did anyone notice that on the new schedule PDF it shows a new Amtrak shuttle 451 departing SPG at 5:28 AM and connecting to Acela 2151 but on the webpage schedule it is absent and the existing 141 is the earliest train? Hopefully its an error on the webpage, a shuttle connecting to 2151 would be a great addition as it would allow someone to get down to New York before 9 AM and to Washington before noon. Here's hoping the PDF is right. The web schedule does show the reverse direction of this trip, shuttle 472 connecting to 2172.

GirlOnTheTrain

Post by GirlOnTheTrain » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:05 pm

Patrick A. wrote:I imagine it means they’ll use the existing stations in the interim until design and construction is complete.
Note to self: stop reading the forums under the influence of cold meds, ha. That concept was a little too far for my brain earlier this afternoon.
"I am no longer just a girl on the train, going back and forth without point or purpose."

Moderator: Amtrak, MTA Metro-North, MTA New York City Subway/PATH/NYC Area Light Rail

Kilo Echo

Post by Kilo Echo » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:10 am

Springfield Union Station has a new website — http://www.springfieldunionstation.com — to join its Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/SpringfieldUnionStation.
Mind the gap

Palmer5RR

Post by Palmer5RR » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:20 pm

Can anybody give me ballpark figures what has been spent on this operation? Including track work, engineering, environmental impact, etc. Has any equipment been bought and paid-for just for this route? (locomotives & passenger cars) What is the split between Federal Money and Connecticut Sate money so far?

daybeers

Post by daybeers » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:08 pm

Palmer5RR wrote:Can anybody give me ballpark figures what has been spent on this operation? Including track work, engineering, environmental impact, etc. Has any equipment been bought and paid-for just for this route? (locomotives & passenger cars) What is the split between Federal Money and Connecticut Sate money so far?
I don't know how accurate or recent the figures are on the website, but they are stated in the FAQ section of the NHHSRail Program website: http://nhhsrail.com/stay_informed/faqs.aspx

Arlington

Post by Arlington » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:25 pm

How is CTrail pronounced?
-See Tee Rail
-See Trail

Cedar Ale? ;-)
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn

Return to “MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail”