Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1430837  by fredmcain

Noel Weaver wrote:In my opinion, New York State errored badly when the Harlem beyond
Wassaic was abandoned and torn up. There is a huge potential in the
area of Dutchess/Columbia north of Wassaic and it would be very
difficult and expensive to extend the Harlem north of Wassaic.
<cut>
Noel,

What is the current status of the roadbed north of Wassaic? Is the abandoned right-of-way mostly intact or has it had stuff built over it? Would it be possible to relay rails on the roadbed? It would be nice if service could at least be extended north to Millerton.

Regards,
 #1430844  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Landbanked, state-owned (but by the state parks dept., not NYSDOT or the MTA), and protected from encroachment the whole way. However, the Harlem Valley Rail Trail occupies the whole of the Wassaic-Millerton segment so would have to be accommodated rail-with-trail...adding cost and complexity to an extension in terms of what the county will negotiate. While certainly feasible to do, and eventually congestion may make the county warm(er) to the idea...that has to be considered the very last-priority extension on the MTA's plate because of the extra hurdles. Way, way behind Penn Station Access, Poughkeepsie-Rhinecliff, and all manner of capacity enhancement in the existing MNRR-NY service area before Millerton gets another crack. But demand would be good enough to Millerton from both sides of the state line that you can never call it 100.00% impossible; interest will flare up from time to time keeping it a perpetual study candidate.

Thru service to Chatham outside of the MTA district...that almost certainly will never happen. Too many miles at not nearly enough critical mass, too much that can be done first via the Empire to improve upstate access, and the out-of-district question keeps it out-of-sight/out-of-mind for the MTA whereas Millerton will always be lurking around the fringes giving off a lukewarm-or-better heat signature.
 #1430877  by NaugyRR

I personally don't think Millerton could be feasible without taking up the Trail. The cuts and line-side homes get pretty cozy to the ROW, especially as you get closer and into Millerton. Plus there'd be no way to return to the former station site without doing some major redevelopment; you'd either have to have a new station built south or further north of the former site without completely throwing things into disarray.

I'm usually through Millerton two or three times a week at least, and regular weekday traffic from the locals certainly doesn't warrant rail service. Friday - Sunday can get pretty busy at times with the people who come up from the City, especially in the warmer weather and when there's an event in town, but again, nothing too extreme and usually pretty central to the section of 44 between the two traffic lights.

What Millerton would really benefit from would be a dedicated municipal parking area to get cars off the side of the street, which is really what gets annoying. There's no worse feeling than when someone's parallel parked three feet away from the curb and you meet a tractor-trailer coming the other way, haha. Plus I can't begin to tell you how many times I've seen people just swing their doors open without looking at the road.

If the MTA were to invest in Millerton, I think the best option would be to create a municipal parking lot with a dedicated shuttle bus to/from Wassaic. That right there would alleviate a huge portion of the congestion in town and require far less resources than extending train service.

While we're on the Beacon Line thread, whatever became of that whole ordeal with the MTA seeking proposals for the line a while back?
 #1430976  by CRail

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:However, the Harlem Valley Rail Trail occupies the whole of the Wassaic-Millerton segment so would have to be accommodated rail-with-trail...adding cost and complexity to an extension in terms of what the county will negotiate.
Not true. A railroad right of way is a railroad right of way. Sure, there may be political hurdles due to opposition by trail advocates, but the presence of a bike trail on a right of way constitutes no legal claim to that property over rail use. No matter how "obsolete" elitists deem them, railroads are more important than recreational trails.

What on earth does this have to do with the Beacon line anyway?
 #1430987  by fredmcain

CRail wrote: What on earth does this have to do with the Beacon line anyway?
Well, on this forum, I'm not sure how you can change the subject title. On the Yahoo e-groups with which I'm far more familiar (and literate) all you have to do is change or modify the subject line and go on.

But how can you do it on here and save the last few responses that are relevant to the new subject line?

Regards,
 #1430998  by GirlOnTheTrain

Probably has to do with the fact that dear Admin probably merged 30 different threads together ;)

But anyway...yeah...upper Harlem...not Beacon...back on topic please....
 #1431030  by Jeff Smith

Nah, did no such thing on this topic. Beacon to me is sacrosanct! I think we just got off-topic. I'm sure if you search "Millerton", "Wassaic" or "Chatham" in here, you'd find something. To close out on the references to Millerton, my understanding is that whoever was in charge back then made the judgement that Millerton would have encountered too much opposition, and that the quickest way to get the extension built was to just choose Wassaic. They needed to get out of Dover Plains as the terminus. and the Wassaic location had plenty of room.

Actually, I did the search for you: here's the main topic: http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=97496" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Up to "Girl" if she wants to cut and splice posts.

One other topic of interest: http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... n&start=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now, we return you back to our current topic.
 #1442376  by eehiv

Looks like the Beacon line is being converted to a trail for the "Empire State Trail" at least from Hopewell Junction to Brewster:

http://www.hudsongreenway.ny.gov/Librar ... .sflb.ashx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They refer to it as the "Beacon Rail Trail".

It is also referred to in the current MTA budget:

http://web.mta.info/news/pdf/MTA%202018 ... me%202.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No mention of whether the rail will be kept or not, though there is plenty or room for both as this section of the Maybrook line was originally double tracked.

EH
 #1442380  by DutchRailnut

it use to be two tracks, only one area were second track use to be is being converted to trail.
 #1442381  by eehiv

Good News:

http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/ ... 30_MNR.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"MNR is responsible for the portion that will utilize our Beacon Line from the Town of Southeast in Putnam County to Hopewell Junction in Dutchess County. This 18 mile segment will connect to the extensive Putnam County trail at Brewster (which continues southward to New York City) and to the Dutchess County Trail which continues from Hopewell Junction to the Walkway over the Hudson at Poughkeepsie and to trails on the west side of the Hudson River. The scope of work includes moving the existing single track to one side in select locations so that the trail is on one side and tracks on the other. The two will be separated by fencing to be constructed under this project. MNR will also protect and preserve its existing fiber-optic loop cable providing critical connectivity and resiliency for communications throughout the system. The construction of the trail will utilize part of the existing Beacon Line right-of-way, but will not impact the ability to provide rail service. MNR will seek to develop agreements with municipalities or other partners to operate and maintain the trail after construction.

Looks like they will be keeping the rails in this section. This will be the first true rail with trail in NY State.

EH
 #1450986  by AMK0123

Was watching the town of East Fishkill Board meeting on Television from last week and they had advised that MTA had gone to the town in the beginning of the month and confirm that they were going to be putting in a rail trail along the beacon line and that it would be starting in the beginning of 2018. Was curious if any of the current MNRR employees had heard any more specific info regarding the process. Are they going to be replacing the ties and rails in the sections that they move them to the other side of the right of way. Are they going to fix some of the bridges going through Patterson, NY, etc. Also has any company been awarded the contract as of yet?
 #1450993  by Kurt

I saw this posted on several places on Facebook. It has a pretty good description of what they want to do with the trail, including where it will be within the right of way. http://www.beaconlinerailtrail.org/

Under the documents tab is this pdf that describes in detail each section of the trail, including bridges, culverts, and proposed time lines. http://www.beaconlinerailtrail.org/wp-c ... 171031.pdf

reading thru it, most of it leaves the existing track in place, with a few specific areas that mention moving existing track. No contracts have been issued yet.
 #1505388  by NH2060

Obviously we've been down this rabbit hole enough times before so... let's not hold our breath :wink:
While the idea has been discussed before, Boughton said this seems to be the first time where discussions are happening across state lines with Putnam County and MTA.

“I don’t think anyone has taken it this far,” he said.

Boughton said he has received positive feedback from the Metropolitan Transit Authority, Putnam County and Housatonic Railroad. He is scheduling a meeting to discuss it with the Connecticut Department of Transportation.

https://www.newstimes.com/local/article ... 07-tbla-19" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;