Metro-North New Haven Line Penn Station Access

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, Jeff Smith, FL9AC

EuroStar

Re: Metro-North New Haven Line Penn Station Access

Post by EuroStar » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:54 pm

DutchRailnut wrote:There is a damned good reason the soon 500 car M-8's got third rail gear compatible with LIRR third rail.
Amtrak has not been charging fair amount for Catenary use, the LIRR is in charge of their power and a MTA company.
Is there any good source that shows that Amtrak is actually "profiteering" on power sold to the MTA or the other commuter agencies? They all seem to complain (Maryland is kind of going diesel, Massachusetts does not want to even consider it citing those costs), but is it possible that Amtrak costs are just too high because Amtrak is maintaining an old 25Hz system for which all parts are custom? This is might not apply north of New Haven where the system is new, but south of NYP everything might cost more for a good reason.

DutchRailnut

Post by DutchRailnut » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:48 pm

Since you have all answers, please explain: MBTA wants nothing to do with Electric operation.
SLE is running diesel and not much in hurry to get Amtrak to approve M-8's
MARC rather runs diesels cause they got hosed on Electrics.

and meanwhile MN/LIRR get cheapest power from NY power authority, so why would they use Amtrak catenary ??? it would be plain stupidity.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.

EuroStar

Post by EuroStar » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:09 am

DutchRailnut wrote:Since you have all answers, please explain: MBTA wants nothing to do with Electric operation...
If I have offended you somehow, I am sorry. I do not have the answers, which is why I asked the question if we know for a fact that Amtrak is really profiteering on the power sold or if it is just trying to cover its high costs. Doesn't Amtrak have its own generation station plus a bunch of converters for the 25Hz? All high power equipment is custom ordered, but non-standard 25Hz is even more special. Maybe they just have high costs and need to pass it to the customer. I just do not know and that is why I was asking. As a quasi-government entity, Amtrak is not exactly the place to find cost efficiency on par with the private sector.

Backshophoss

Post by Backshophoss » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:43 pm

The ex-PRR grid ends at CP Gate,from CP Gate to East of East Haven Station is the ex NH power grid that is under MN/ConnDOT control
From East Haven to Boston is Amtrak's 25kv 60hz power grid.
Even though the Hellgate route is Amtrak's it is tied into the MN grid,not the ex PRR grid the West Farms substation near Van Nest section
of the Bronx is shared with MN.
As this is commercial supplied power,the only people making $$$ off of power usage is Con-ED and the power companies in Conn.
All of the 3rd rail power in NY Penn to Harold is from Con-Ed.Amtrak and MN,with LIRR pay Con-Ed.
End of power story!
The Land of Enchantment is not Flyover country!

DutchRailnut

Post by DutchRailnut » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:32 am

En ConEd is providing that power from NY state Power authority at a highly discounted rate .
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.

Tadman

Post by Tadman » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:06 am

EuroStar wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:Since you have all answers, please explain: MBTA wants nothing to do with Electric operation...
If I have offended you somehow, I am sorry. I do not have the answers, p
Don’t worry about Dutch, if there’s ever a guy that thinks he has all the answers, it’s the retired Dutchman. He’s quick to criticize and slow to close his mouth.

Return to “MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail”