Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1498814  by Jenny on a M2

New Haven Line rolling stock (M8s) can only run off of 60Hz AC; their transformers do not accept 25 Hz. Therefore, they're running on 700VDC LIRR-style from the phase break to NYP.

That's why the DC extension is necessary :-D
 #1498954  by DutchRailnut

it would move the switchover point to close to probably busiest interlocking in US , giving no time to trains to get up to speed or fail within that interlocking.
 #1498991  by andrewjw

DutchRailnut wrote:it would move the switchover point to close to probably busiest interlocking in US , giving no time to trains to get up to speed or fail within that interlocking.
Thanks! Makes sense.
 #1499551  by njtmnrrbuff

I hope that MNR plans to run off peak and weekend service to the E. Bronx. There are plenty of people living in those sections who like taking trips into Midtown for the day. There might even be Manhattan residents who might want to spend a day at Pelham Bay Park, located very close to Co-op City and where the depot would be. There are even people who work at the hospitals near Morris Park who might live along the Hellgate Line.
 #1499614  by ziggyzack1234

DutchRailnut wrote:it would move the switchover point to close to probably busiest interlocking in US , giving no time to trains to get up to speed or fail within that interlocking.
Why not move the phase-break into, say... New Jersey? Between the tunnel portals and Secaucus? NJT equipment is able to run both systems, and trains are going a good speed. Would be good in the long run to get the NEC unified on one frequency.
 #1499718  by Ridgefielder

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:I hope that MNR plans to run off peak and weekend service to the E. Bronx. There are plenty of people living in those sections who like taking trips into Midtown for the day. There might even be Manhattan residents who might want to spend a day at Pelham Bay Park, located very close to Co-op City and where the depot would be. There are even people who work at the hospitals near Morris Park who might live along the Hellgate Line.
I'm pretty sure the service plan will be the same as on the other inner-ring MNR lines-- hourly or half-hourly off-peak service from 05:00 to 02:00. Will be interesting to see what direction peak-hour service runs: I'd imagine a substantial number of people who live in the E Bronx work in lower Westchester, or even Connecticut.

Will also be interesting to see how long it takes before Pelham Manor starts complaining about not having a station once the service is up and running. :wink:
 #1499748  by njtmnrrbuff

I was thinking the same thing about Pelham Manor. It looks like much of the right of way through Pelham Manor is surrounded by a golf course on the east side and Rt. 95 on the west side with a lot of residential development. Assuming that there is enough room for a station between Downtown New Rochelle and Co-op City, I would put it near Boston Post Rd, located in New Rochelle but very close to the Pelham Manor border. Once the NEC separates from I-95, it passes by a golf course on both sides of the tracks. In Pelham Manor itself, maybe a station would work near Pelhamdale Ave but I’m not sure if a lot of parking would be able to be added. The same thing goes with the location in New Rochelle near Boston Post Road.
 #1499831  by EuroStar

Backshophoss wrote:Amtrak will never move the changeover point to the west of NY City. the former PRR grid ENDS at CP Gate!
Let me add some details. Everything west of CP Gate is the old PRR grid and is fed from New Jersey with high power cables in the Hudson and East River tunnels. It is 25Hz, 12.5kV. To move the phase break west of NYP will require finding a source of commercial 60Hz power and building a substation to handle Sunnyside yard, the tunnels and Penn Station itself. The voltage is forever limited to 12.5kV due to the low clearances in the tunnels and Penn. Such a new substation will be much more expensive than the much smaller thing that is required to feed the 1 mile of third rail. Additionally, while I am not familiar with the details, I suspect that NJT's Arrows might not like the phase change. While it is true that the Arrows are on their way out, they will be with NJT for at least 5 more years, and given that this is NJT more likely 10.
 #1499839  by DutchRailnut

There is a damned good reason the soon 500 car M-8's got third rail gear compatible with LIRR third rail.
Amtrak has not been charging fair amount for Catenary use, the LIRR is in charge of their power and a MTA company.
 #1499932  by Backshophoss

The FRA has never been happy of the 3rd rail and the 12, 5kv 25hz wire sharing the SAME space in Penn Station,that's been "Grandfathered"
way back when. FRA would most likely never approve any conversion to 12.5 kv 60 hz power.
On top of that,Con ED's power grid in Manhattan and Queens can barely handle NYCTA's and MN's power demands,would melt the cables
in the streets trying to handle Amtrak's power demands.
Leave it alone!
 #1500276  by SRich

DutchRailnut wrote:There is a damned good reason the soon 500 car M-8's got third rail gear compatible with LIRR third rail.
Amtrak has not been charging fair amount for Catenary use, the LIRR is in charge of their power and a MTA company.
Even on the EAST RIVER Tunnels and Penn ?