Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1526038  by TDowling

Metro-North president Catherine Rinaldi told NJ Transit she will withhold a portion of its monthly payments until express train service on the Pascack Valley Line is restored, The Journal News/lohud has learned.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.lohud. ... 4263147002
Last edited by GirlOnTheTrain on Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: added fair use quote
 #1526213  by EuroStar

I would not be surprised to see the second express restored once the next three engineer classes graduate by the end of January. That's not to say that this is certain, but once the engineer roster gets a little longer the only issue will be finding the equipment. The equipment in theory is there, it is just that not enough of it is in good shape to run on any given day, but even it cancelled some of the time, restoring the second express will calm certain frequent complaints related to the Pascack Valley line, so I see the restoration as likely.
 #1526226  by DutchRailnut

metro north pool has 45 comet v's and 14 or so locomotives , if not enough equipment it means MMC is not maintaining it as per contract.
 #1526284  by Erie-Lackawanna

DutchRailnut wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:03 pm metro north pool has 45 comet v's and 14 or so locomotives , if not enough equipment it means MMC is not maintaining it as per contract.
65 cars and 15 locomotives. Only 57 or so cars are required for service (including shop margin) so theoretically, there are actually 8 cars laying around, available for service with nothing to do.

Restoring the second express but canceling it when they can’t make the AM requirement will not soothe any unpleasant feelings in Rockland County. They want, and deserve, reliable service, which NJT is unwilling to guarantee.

Jim
 #1530050  by TDowling

Correct me if im wrong, but the PVL trackage is owned and maintained by NJT, while the PJL trackage is owned by NS and maintained by Metro North?

Also, did the 2 railroads at their inception in the early 1980s foresee the problem(s) that would arise from their contractual agreement? (For the record, I'm not putting NJT or MNR on trial here as I realize that no other recourse really existed.)
 #1530102  by Backshophoss

Believe MN needs to gain control of the WOH fleet,the current "Pool" deal finds MN gear Dover or Booton instead of Port Jervis.
Building a "Running Repair shop at Campbell Hall should help keep WOH on the ML/PVL lines and MN maintaining Fleet instead of NJT
should help fleet availability
 #1530292  by EuroStar

"Pooled" equipment and crews is the proper way to run the type of service we have west of Hudson. The issue really is with NJ letting NJT go downhill over the last decade or so with the Cristie years being especially damaging. Metro-North taking over the service away from NJT is unlikely to accomplish much given that most of the delays originate within NJ.
 #1530420  by GirlOnTheTrain

Who cares if the stuff goes to Boonton? It's no different than the CDOT P32s spending most of their time on the Hudson line. The only difference is that MNR as a whole is more competent than NJT, who just needs to get its you know what together...
 #1530436  by Jeff Smith

GirlOnTheTrain wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:38 am Who cares if the stuff goes to Boonton? It's no different than the CDOT P32s spending most of their time on the Hudson line.
LOL I DO!