Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Arlington

Traingeek3629 wrote:I doubt it would be confusing; As long as the schedule and the station signs say the train pulling in is scheduled, and the railcars behind the engine are CTrail, nobody will be confused.
Heck, as long as the livery can't be confused with Amtrak's, I don't see any particular branding being an operational problem (I do like consistent branding and clean-looking exteriors from a "we care" standpoint)
  by ConstanceR46

And now SLE is stuck with the disgusting P40s!

I mean, they're gonna be repainted too; and the NJT ones aren't that beat up.

I feel like a new identity is beneficial for CDOT- most of the stuff the New Haven paint was on was hand-me-downs.
  by checkmatechamp13

Question, I was thinking of fanning the Hartford Line tomorrow, and I was wondering how fare collection works. The best train that works with my schedule terminates in Hartford, but I want to go all the way up to Springfield. Would I be able to buy a New Haven-Springfield ticket, board the train to Hartford, take some pictures and then get on the next train to Springfield on that ticket, or would I be better off buying two separate tickets? (It would save $1.25 to buy it as a single ticket)
  by Traingeek3629

I think you have to buy two separate tickets. Tell me how ridership on the trains you take is.
checkmatechamp13 wrote:Question, I was thinking of fanning the Hartford Line tomorrow, and I was wondering how fare collection works. The best train that works with my schedule terminates in Hartford, but I want to go all the way up to Springfield. Would I be able to buy a New Haven-Springfield ticket, board the train to Hartford, take some pictures and then get on the next train to Springfield on that ticket, or would I be better off buying two separate tickets? (It would save $1.25 to buy it as a single ticket)
  by CNJGeep

Took a spin on the line last Thursday.
Ridership was about 80 or so leaving New Haven at 11:30, we had a 3-car Mafersa train with the head two open. Coming back the P40 died about five times. We were almost an hour late by Hartford, where I got off, including fifteen minutes spent waiting for The Vermonter. I took A475 from Hartford to New Haven and it was PACKED. The crew had the rear half of the cab car blocked off but quickly changed that upon seeing the mass of people.
  by Traingeek3629

CNJGeep wrote:Took a spin on the line last Thursday.
Ridership was about 80 or so leaving New Haven at 11:30, we had a 3-car Mafersa train with the head two open. Coming back the P40 died about five times. We were almost an hour late by Hartford, where I got off, including fifteen minutes spent waiting for The Vermonter. I took A475 from Hartford to New Haven and it was PACKED. The crew had the rear half of the cab car blocked off but quickly changed that upon seeing the mass of people.
I took a ride last Sunday from NH up to Hartford for lunch and a trip to the CT science center, here was my itinerary:

1. Amtrak 460, from NH to Hartford, the train was about 2/3 full. We arrived in Hartford right on time.
2. CTrail 6459, from Hartford to NH. We left right on schedule, and arrived in NH about 8 minutes late. That train had 3 cars open, and while 50 people got on at Hartford, the train was only just over 1/3 full when we pulled out of Wallingford.

T
  by BandA

Wow, guess what happens when that person with Crohn's Disease tries to use the bathroom and the only one open is occupied. What part of "we know the bathrooms aren't ADA and we are trying to fix them" doesn't the FRA understand?
  by DutchRailnut

What part of poor planning did CDOT not understand ? never seen an any more disorganized cluster F**k.
just like their engine overhauls late late late , cause of what ????? yup CDOT screwing itself.
  by njtmnrrbuff

CDOT's poor planning is almost just as problematic as New Jersey Transit's. If they had managed their money better, there would have been brand new state of the art equipment operating on Ctrail service with restrooms from the start and ptc installed. While having the new double track south of Hartford is a start, it would have been better to have more of the double track done before the new service began-at least a brand new Hartford station with double track and the long siding in Windsor. This would have cut down on the excessive delays to the trains running on the Springfield Line.

How has the ridership been this week on the Ctrail trains?
  by Traingeek3629

Not sure.
i was in New Haven last weekend, going to a NY Yankees game, and I saw the 9:25 out of NH and the 6:55 out of NH. The 6:55 was the one I watched depart, and it looked about half full, with maybe 150 people or so onboard.
  by lordsigma12345

Platform canopy demolition and track reallgnment work. New power cabinets can be seen in one pic. - taken at SPG

https://ibb.co/j7kmce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://ibb.co/cXbRce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://ibb.co/i0OHiK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://ibb.co/fTOuVz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;