Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1515644  by lordsigma12345

What I suspect has happened is that there has been an ADA complaint or citation regarding Windsor station and that’s why this has now become priority 1. The Windsor station rebuild was actually quite low on the priority list if you look at earlier CDOT documents, the Windsor Locks station rebuild was priority #1 and this Windsor project has suddenly become the big thing. it may be they are under pressure as Windsor Station did have to receive some modification work to accommodate the Windsor double track and construction work is what forces compliance with newer versions of ADA regulations and they May be under heat for not doing enough ADA work when they modified the station for the double track. Windsor Locks meanwhile hasn’t been touched so they likely still don’t have to do anything there because it would be grandfathered (and that will be addressed soon anyway with a new station.) I have a feeling my suspicion is correct as why wouldn’t they have just done it before a- they built a new low level platform on the track 2 side which it appears they will now basically rip out and replace with a high level one. I think they goofed and are having to fix their mistake.
 #1516108  by daybeers

I don't see why trains can't continue using the bridge as a single-track bridge. Should be no problem capacity-wise.

I thought the temporary platform that was installed at Windsor was a mini-high-level?

Any updates on the Springfield high-level platform?

A source told me once funding is secured from the state, Amtrak plans to replace the OAKWOOD interlocking at the Oakwood Avenue crossing in West Hartford with one at PARKVILLE in Hartford to add another two miles of double track that is presently only classed for 10 mph freight service. No word on where this stands on the priority list.
 #1516121  by gregorygrice

daybeers wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:13 pm I don't see why trains can't continue using the bridge as a single-track bridge. Should be no problem capacity-wise.

I thought the temporary platform that was installed at Windsor was a mini-high-level?

Any updates on the Springfield high-level platform
The bridge will continue to be used as a single track bridge. There are no plans to replace it at this time.

The platforms at Windsor are both low level.

&

Platform C at Springfield is almost done. The elevator is being built and other things such as electrical are being installed.
 #1516133  by njtmnrrbuff

SPG Line is double track to around the Park St underpass and then it goes to single track and remains that way until just north of the current Hartford Station. Eventually a brand new Hartford Station will get built in a trench and at that point, the SPG Line will be double track at the station.
 #1516156  by JcPinCT

daybeers wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:13 pmA source told me once funding is secured from the state, Amtrak plans to replace the OAKWOOD interlocking at the Oakwood Avenue crossing in West Hartford with one at PARKVILLE in Hartford to add another two miles of double track that is presently only classed for 10 mph freight service. No word on where this stands on the priority list.
I would think a low priority to CTDOT as upgrading this section of track doesn’t make much difference to Hartford Line service until the second track is added back in downtown Hartford in the year 20??.
 #1516167  by nomis

That upgrade would allow a 30 minute headway schedule in and out of Hartford, from the 40 minute schedule currently in place. Getting to a clockface type of schedule would be paramount for the lower half of the line.
 #1516188  by daybeers

nomis wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:57 am That upgrade would allow a 30 minute headway schedule in and out of Hartford, from the 40 minute schedule currently in place. Getting to a clockface type of schedule would be paramount for the lower half of the line.
Agreed! That's what they said: reliability.

Also, this was posted and emailed earlier this afternoon. Anyone know what they're doing?
Service Alert: August 10 and 11: Construction Affecting Berlin and Meriden Stations

Attention CTrail Hartford Line Customers:

On Saturday, August 10 and Sunday, August 11, 2019, there will be track construction impacting stops at the Meriden and Berlin train stations.

All northbound and southbound Amtrak and CTrail trains will stop at the Track 2 platform ONLY during this time.

Berlin Station: The Track 2 platform is the platform closest to the parking lot.
Meriden Station: The Track 2 platform is the platform closest to State Street and the Meriden Green.
 #1516207  by Train322

Not sure. Wonder if it has to do with reconnecting the freight track (from the south) at Berlin.

Also - with respect to the section of second track in Hartford. It is classed as 10 mph but what really needs to be done to "upgrade" it?
 #1516224  by gregorygrice

Train322 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:33 pm Also - with respect to the section of second track in Hartford. It is classed as 10 mph but what really needs to be done to "upgrade" it?
The whole track is sh*ty & jointed rail. New welded rail and ties need to be laid, circuits for crossings & cab signaling need to be installed and a new interlocking installed. Currently the switch is an electric lock.
 #1516359  by daybeers

Amtrak posted this alert today. Not sure why they haven't yet posted the alert that the Hartford Line did.
Track Work Affects Service on some Northeast Regional, Springfield Shuttle and Vermonter Trains
Effective August 17 & 18, 2019

Track work being performed between New Haven and Springfield will affect service at Wallingford, Meriden, Berlin, Hartford, Windsor, Windsor Locks and Springfield on August 17 and 18.

Northeast Regional
Saturday, August 17

Trains 140 and 146, which normally operate between Washington and Springfield, will terminate at New Haven. Alternate transportation will be provided, via Buses 3140 and 3146, for all missed intermediate stops at State Street, Wallingford, Meriden, Berlin, Hartford, Windsor and Windsor Locks.

Sunday, August 18

Trains 143 and 157, which normally operate between Springfield and Washington, will originate at New Haven. Alternate transportation will be provided, via Buses 3143 and 3157, for all missed intermediate stops at Windsor Locks, Windsor, Hartford, Berlin, Meriden, Wallingford and State Street.

Vermonter

Trains 54 and 57 will operate normally but may encounter 10 to 15 minute delays between Springfield and Windsor Locks.

Springfield Shuttle

Trains will operate normally but may encounter 10 to 15 minute delays between Springfield and Windsor Locks.
 #1516461  by dha10001

That's encouraging news about the additional double track planned south of Hartford. It seems like low-hanging fruit that would really yield benefits for operations around Hartford station as well as more frequent peak service. This would really enhance the approach to Hartford for northbound trains. I remember being disappointed on opening day as my northbound CTrail train slowed dramatically to transit this interlocking, in an area where trains could otherwise travel at top speed.

I would be curious to know what the time savings would be for northbound trains. Also, is anyone aware of what speed the new interlocking would permit? This section would be outside the scope of the I-84 rebuild, so it should be built out to support the full 2030 vision, but then again once the new Hartford station is built, it may not be used for regular service, even with the new Hartford station being built as a 4 track, 2 platform station. What's the existing interlocking's speed - 40mph? 60mph would be a nice upgrade.
 #1516474  by daybeers

Where is SPRING?

The current OAKWOOD interlocking is 45 mph.

I rode #417 HFD–MDN today, great service as always, but pretty much when we left HFD and got up to a good clip, the ex-Metroliner Cab Car I was in was rattling pretty badly. Reminds me of the post someone made on another forum some time ago about thinking her NEC train was speeding at 125 mph. What was weird was once we got to Silver Lake south of Berlin, it was perfectly smooth like it usually is. This was also when the engineer backed off on the throttle and I think we were just coasting for a while coming into Meriden.

I took #478 back which was smooth as butter the whole way. I notice the dispatchers have been savvy with the northbound trains if there isn't a southbound nearby: they switch the train to track 1 on the 45mph interlocking north of Berlin (that's not what it's called, that's the northern gauntlet track interlocking at the station) instead of at the OAKWOOD interlocking so they can cruise at 100+ for much longer. Smart!