Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1512167  by Graeme Salt

A recent UK visitor to the NYC area reports seeing very little of the WOH locomotive fleet active at Hoboken over the course of several days - specifically, only 4906 was sighted, and that didn't turn a wheel. By contrast my own visit in February 2018 yielded all of them except F40 4913 working. Are there a number of WOH locos still oos for PTC installation? Would it be possible for someone to post a fleet status update?
 #1512204  by nomis

Mod Note: For better visibility, I moved this to the NJT forum.
 #1512237  by CNJGeep

Graeme Salt wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:05 am A recent UK visitor to the NYC area reports seeing very little of the WOH locomotive fleet active at Hoboken over the course of several days - specifically, only 4906 was sighted, and that didn't turn a wheel. By contrast my own visit in February 2018 yielded all of them except F40 4913 working. Are there a number of WOH locos still oos for PTC installation? Would it be possible for someone to post a fleet status update?
Yes. Most if not all are held from service awaiting PTC installation. As of earlier this year, the work was being held up owing to a dispute over who was responsible for the cost of the installation. I do not know if this has been resolved. I do not have a current fleet status.
 #1512260  by Graeme Salt

CNJGeep wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:01 pm
Graeme Salt wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:05 am A recent UK visitor to the NYC area reports seeing very little of the WOH locomotive fleet active at Hoboken over the course of several days - specifically, only 4906 was sighted, and that didn't turn a wheel. By contrast my own visit in February 2018 yielded all of them except F40 4913 working. Are there a number of WOH locos still oos for PTC installation? Would it be possible for someone to post a fleet status update?
Yes. Most if not all are held from service awaiting PTC installation. As of earlier this year, the work was being held up owing to a dispute over who was responsible for the cost of the installation. I do not know if this has been resolved. I do not have a current fleet status.
Thanks - that explains the lack of visibility.
 #1522348  by blockline4180

Seems all the WOH engines are STILL sidelined. I'm guessing there is still a dispute who should pay for PTC installation or is it now other issues??
 #1522357  by Backshophoss

It would help if MN puts in a running repair shop at Campbell Hall yard,instead of dealing with MMC,what hurts is nothing can cycle to Harmon
for heavy repair.
 #1522492  by TDowling

I doubt that is going to happen. The bureaucratic red tape might be excessive between the two states. It would have to be NJ Transit that erects the repair shop.
 #1522917  by CNJGeep

4901 is in for PTC at Morristown.

4905 was used in early September for about four days as a buried locomotive.
 #1522954  by Backshophoss

NJT has not been a good steward to MN equipment,that's why MN needs to put in a runnning repair shop at Campbell Hall yard.
The bickering over the ACSES install on the WOH fleet by NJT is case in point!!
Harmon would have completed the install for the WOH fleet by now!
 #1523012  by EuroStar

Can someone with insight into the internal organization politics enlighten me why the installation of PTC became such an issue? Was NJT trying to overcharge for the work? While the equipment is pooled, it is still MN's equipment, so I am sure MN knew they had to pay for the upgrades.
 #1524494  by EuroStar

Earlier this week I observed 4901 in a revenue move trailing a set heading to Hoboken without a cab car behind it. 4906 was observed leading a train out of Hoboken. Looks like that the Metro-North engines are finally getting the PTC gear. Anyone know if all of them have it already?
 #1524603  by blockline4180

EuroStar wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:12 am Earlier this week I observed 4901 in a revenue move trailing a set heading to Hoboken without a cab car behind it. 4906 was observed leading a train out of Hoboken. Looks like that the Metro-North engines are finally getting the PTC gear. Anyone know if all of them have it already?

No, but all the Geeps should have them very soon... THe F40's I'm assuming will be next.. The work is being done at Morristown M&E locomotive yard.
 #1526765  by Graeme Salt

In the course of another trans-Atlantic pilgrimage to see elderly EMD products in their natural environment, I spent some time today at Hoboken and riding on the Port Jervis line in the deepening snow, observing in the process the following WoH geeps in revenue service: 4900, 4901, 4902, 4903 and 4906. Still not a single F40 in evidence.