Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1509912  by BAR

I plan on riding the Harlem line from Wassaic to GCT and return on Monday, July 15. What is the parking situation at Wassaic? Any information, help, or advice appreciated. If I am reading the schedule correctly it looks like I will have to make a transfer at North East since I plan on riding on a non-peak train.

Thanks.

BAR
 #1510000  by NaugyRR

Parking's not awful at Wassaic. Being a weekday and non-holiday you will have to pay $3.75 for 16-hours or $6.50 for 24-hours depending on the duration of your trip. When you first enter the lot, the spots directly in front of you are permit spots, don't park in these. I usually go straight back and turn left along the back side of the lot for a better chance to find a spot, as most people park as close to the platform as possible. Make sure to note the spot you're in indicated by the pole-mounted sign, as that number is what you'll enter into the parking vending machine in front of the stairs. Take your receipt too just in case. I've seen the lot get pretty full, but have always managed to find a spot.

Changing at Southeast is always pretty straight forward. If your set of M7's isn't waiting for you then it's only a few minutes away in the yard. Lately I've had to wait about ten minutes or so for the diesel shuttle back to Wassaic. Try to sit towards the front of the train as it'll be closest to the platform exit at GCT, and if you're traveling alone you may end up with a seat buddy as the trains get pretty crowded the further south you travel, especially by the time the train goes express at White Plains.
 #1510024  by BAR

Thanks for your helpful reply.

BAR
 #1510191  by njtmnrrbuff

Often you are not waiting very long in Southeast when you have to change from your diesel train to an electric. By the way, on weekdays, it's possible that you might get an M3 set running as your electric train. They are still running, but they run during the week more so than on weekends. If you happen to ride in an M3 Set, enjoy them while they are around, especially with the railfan window. MNR is proposing replacing the M3s with M9s eventually.
 #1510249  by NaugyRR

I've noticed a few M3's still floating around Southeast yard, I always figured they were more in use during peak weekdays. You certainly see more down south out of NWP, but I don't think their quite as endangered as the LIRR units. You still see them pretty regularly on the Hudson.
 #1510435  by njtmnrrbuff

Yes, there are more M3s that operate below NWP and they run on the Hudson Line below CRT. I think the MNR M3s are in better shape than the LIRR ones

By the way, if you happen to arrive at Wassaic Station way before your train departs, you might also want to check out the Harlem Valley Rail Trail a little which begins at the Wassaic Station and runs all the way to Millerton, I think.
 #1510447  by NaugyRR

Yeah, it ends at the old Millerton Depot for now but they're currently working on the extension to connect it with the existing trail in Copake. There's not much to see on the Wassaic to Amenia stretch though, in fact there's a few old "farmer's dumps" in the woods with old cars, scrap, etc. If you do end up back in the area, BAR, check out the leg between Amenia and Sharon Station, as that has some of the nicer sights, in my opinion.
 #1515858  by BAR

Made the trip from Wassaic to GCT as planned. Thanks for all the advice and I am pleased to report that everything went smoothly. Passed by some familiar landmarks but this was the first time by train. Good trip with helpful and friendly crews both ways.

BAR