Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1507391  by ajp

What is the group opinion on the new departure boards st GCT?
Local media reports various opinions from commuters. Some claim
they remembered pre 1990 Solari boards (I don’t remember those)
 #1507468  by DutchRailnut

first , does opinion change fact they are being changed.
second , will opinion chance operational decisions of MN.
Third , have you ever felt like baring up a tree.
forth , has any opinion ever chanced any decision of railroad ?
 #1507476  by rohr turbo

Oh Jaap, you just don't want anyone discussing anything, do you? :)

I think the destination, time, track info etc. is much more legible. Also there's one more line and many more characters per line so more info. But I kind of miss the serif font and subdued colors for "Hudson Line Departures" etc.

This is based on web pictures. I haven't seen them in person yet.
 #1507481  by ajp

I figured after all the opinions garnered on the Solaris on the Amtrak site sme member would of commented on the architecual and esthetic aspects
of GCT. Its not the ceiling painted backwards, nor the mystery of track 100 or the unmaed tool car

But then Dutch has never held an opinion
 #1507508  by truck6018

ajp wrote:What is the group opinion on the new departure boards st GCT?
Opinions were already taken into consideration a few years ago when this project was in the planning stage. There were three different styles of these boards on display in Vanderbilt Hall where outside input was received. If I remember correctly, there were the different overhead departure boards and there were different styles for the boards at the gates.
 #1507511  by JasW

Local media reports various opinions from commuters. Some claim
they remembered pre 1990 Solari boards (I don’t remember those)
Are we talking the Solari flap-style boards? Those were only replaced in the mid-90s. I loved those.
 #1507532  by Ridgefielder

truck6018 wrote:
Opinions were already taken into consideration a few years ago when this project was in the planning stage. There were three different styles of these boards on display in Vanderbilt Hall where outside input was received. If I remember correctly, there were the different overhead departure boards and there were different styles for the boards at the gates.
The one that they have up so far certainly seems more legible. The old ones were showing their age, too. Some of the letters weren't displaying correctly, that sort of thing. It also seems like they offer more flexibility than the old models.

Thought that just occurred to me-- will LIRR departures be posted on the boards in the main concourse, or will they only be listed "down below" in the LIRR's sub-sub-basement concourse?
 #1507568  by ajp

if the main entrance to the LIRR will be in the area near the ‘40 tracks
(Biltmore room?) their departure boards would make sense to be there (i think the old
chalkboards are still there for their use🙃)
With the new signs and their technology it maybe possible to slip a few seconds of advertising
between the track number refreshes - another revenue stream
advertising like the old Kodak billboards that were in GCT
 #1507574  by 35dtmrs92

LIRR information should be presented in the main waiting room alongside everything else. There should also be arrivals shown there too; people do come to wait for others.
 #1507577  by DutchRailnut

we may figure that out in 20?? when LIRR ever gets here ?
 #1507669  by RearOfSignal

If you notice carefully they have changed the styling of new boards a few times since it was first activated. The railroad is definitely experimenting to see what works.
 #1507733  by TCurtin

I saw one in service for the first time this week. Looks OK. My wife says the new ones look more readable.

BTW, I understand from an NYT article that the Landmarks Commission had to approve the new design.
 #1509120  by TDowling

Phila 30th street station said goodbye to its solari board and while commuters were sad to see it go they didnt put up a hissy fit.
 #1509158  by DutchRailnut

Most Rail buffs are surprised that the Solari boards in GCT were replaced in 1990 and the ugly Black departure boards are not even close to original and totally shot after 29 years.
 #1509613  by Traingeek3629

It's always sad to see something like that be replaced with a garish electronic board...I always had a fondness for those boards.