Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1508597  by Triaxle

What's missing is these posts is that the function of a bar car is not as an alcohol delivery device, it's to have a place to make and see friends. On a long CR route, people take the same train month after month, year after year. Having a beer at your seat, by yourself is sad. Doing so in the bar car, often with the same people, perhaps working in the same industry as you is not, it's healthy. Removing the bar cars is a way of telling the commuters "you are drones, you exist only to shuffle between breeding station and cubicle".
OK, I'm stretching it a bit, but a 1.5 hour commute door to door each way doesn't leave much of your own life outside of the Survivor show of corporate life.
 #1508603  by R36 Combine Coach

Triaxle wrote:What's missing is these posts is that the function of a bar car is not as an alcohol delivery device, it's to have a place to make and see friends. On a long CR route, people take the same train month after month, year after year. OK, I'm stretching it a bit, but a 1.5 hour commute door to door each way doesn't leave much of your own life outside of the Survivor show of corporate life.
Even during off hours with no bar service, bar cars could serve as a lounge or "club" of sorts.
 #1509020  by dha10001

I'd like to know what the capacity of the new / old bar cars were, standees included. I see plenty of folks standing on the New Haven Line at peak, either because they prefer it to a middle seat or would rather stand for a time after a long day sitting. It seems feasible to me that a bar car could have seating and standing accomodations sufficient to carry as many passengers as a normal railcar.

I think the best argument for the bar car is that it suits Connecticut's, and Fairfield County's, brand as an illustrious and unique place to live. We pay high taxes and the cost of living is high, and in return we enjoy a high quality of life nationally and compared to other areas in the tri-state. And our rail fares are high. We should enjoy a service that can offer this kind
Of unique amenity that is also practical, ie providing standing room. The best argument against bar cars probably isn30-30-30 decreasing overall trip time. But we're not there yet. I hope future rolling stock orders or bilevela will incorporate amenities like work tables, USB ports, different seating types, bike storage, and a cafe/bar to serve the imcreasinyndoverse types of riders and trips. And if and when CT grows the NH beyond a self contained service and rather a trunk connecting CT and New England to New York, these amenities would really suit trains bound a whole number of destinations and for different types of travelers.