Harlem Line Extension To Danbury?

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, Jeff Smith, FL9AC

NH2060

Re: Harlem Line Extension To Danbury?

Post by NH2060 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:57 am

I'm sure right now the MTA are thinking "We'll have proof that this is a waste of money and we don't have to spend a dime" :wink:

NIMBYkiller

Post by NIMBYkiller » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:45 pm

In terms of service to GCT, this will provide no benefit beyond what currently exists. What it will do, however, is create an alternative for CT residents traveling to jobs along the Harlem Line, particularly in White Plains. The 684/84 interchange consistently backs up for miles (to the point where it's faster to just go to 202 and then get onto 84), as does 84 near the state line.

Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Smith » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:21 am

Having lived in D'Bury, that was always my thought. CT has shown a willingness to spend on rail, but I'd rather see other services first, such as an extension to New Milford, or instra-state service Waterbury to New Haven, or Hartford, and a permanent Devon Transfer. Even New London service north.
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator/Co-Owner

Backshophoss

Post by Backshophoss » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:14 pm

A branch service to Hopewell Jct is still possible,after raising the roadbed to match that raised bridge.
Untill HRRC is evicted from the Maybrook line,MN/ConnDOT can never reach New Milford.
The Land of Enchantment is not Flyover country!

DutchRailnut

Post by DutchRailnut » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:37 pm

unless we are in a communist country evicting a owner is not easy.
eminent domain is option, but is not really a favor if argued in court, as state refused to buy that part from Conrail.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.

Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Smith » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:50 am

MassDOT was able to buy their portion from HRRC. CtDOT owns above New Milford to State Line. West of Danbury is OOS with zero customers. But Jaap has a point; given the relationship between CtDOT, MNRR, and HRRC, it would be rough, especially since CT is broke. Still, to me, it's the one service extension that makes sense and is relatively feasible. Any extension to Southeast will cost a ton given the funds necessary to return that branch to a state of good repair for passenger service.
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator/Co-Owner

J.D. Lang

Post by J.D. Lang » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:01 am

I would think that HRRC would be more than willing to sell to the state of CT. if: 1)They retain exclusive freight rights; 2)The state upgrades the tracks for passenger service. Look at the sweet deal that they got in MA. Something like 7 mil. in their pockets and many millions more for upgrading the tracks.
J. Lang

DutchRailnut

Post by DutchRailnut » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:49 pm

Last I heard was only way CDOT gets to run on HRRC is, if they buy the entire railroad at fair market value plus 5 years of last earnings.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.

Backshophoss

Post by Backshophoss » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:19 pm

HRRC has been a piss poor steward of their lines,ConnDOT gave them supplies and $$$$$$$ for track repairs,with ZERO results shown.
they have done NOTHING except needed track work to keep it at class 1,barely allows P&W access to Danbury, and works against the greater
good of all of the neighboring RR's
The Land of Enchantment is not Flyover country!

Hoghead

Post by Hoghead » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:52 am

Once again another arm chair quarterback that speaks without knowing anything apparently! Before you post check your facts and learn the fine details involved. CT is the problem always has and there is no end in site.

Return to “MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail”