Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1504242  by DutchRailnut

The lower level loop was out of service simply cause it was no longer needed, any train requiring looping could easily be redirected to upper level.
I used it once during the APTA rail rodeo in or around 1991/2 but even then it was technically not to be used except emergencies and track 200 east of maintenance/service area was already used for train layover during week days .
 #1504857  by CP-4070

JamesRR wrote:I found some images in an old Engineering News article I had on the building of GCT (from the time period when it was under construction).

The first image shows how Track 100 (of which we've been discussing) was a tail track, which looks like it was there to allow trains to use that large supplies/service area.

The second shows a profile of the levels, and the baggage subways can easily be seen below the lower level. Again, these are drawings from construction, so the track plans have changed over the years.
1.png
2.png
That is the only reason that makes sense for me. Thanks a lot for the archive work! Very interesting.