Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1502225  by njtmnrrbuff

I don’t think many people who live within easy reach of Fordham MNR Station want to have to deal with the less than steller reliability of the subway system so they will want more Metro North options. It’s great that passengers are being allowed to take New Haven Line trains, in addition to Harlem Line trains, to Fordham. It reduces waiting between Harlem Line trains. Plus, it’s faster to Midtown from Fordham on MNR over taking the subway.
 #1502229  by GirlOnTheTrain

That's not exactly a super-well off area, most will still pile onto the 4 line or Concourse trains where you won't get thrown off the train for fare evasion or can buy a swipe from a swiper for $2, as opposed to paying $4.25-$6.50+ to Manhattan depending on when you're travelling. People don't want to pay for the subway as it is. Giving them an even more expensive option, even if it is more reliable and way quicker isn't a sure bet that they'll be willing to fork over the premium. College kids (Fordham isn't cheap) , people who want to get to Arthur Avenue...that's more of a target ridership.

I definitely agree that it's a good thing that they've opened up New Haven Line trains, but unless the D line and the 4 are both jacked up at the same time, I really doubt that this change is going to push massive amounts of people over to MNRR.
 #1502251  by checkthedoorlight

Looks like someone at the MTA read my post speculating on how they could actually run service between the Hell Gate Line and Manhattan with this idiotic tariff in place. Good riddance.

For the record, there were many times when I was in the area of Fordham and didn't want to wait for a blue train to get to GCT, On the occasional time I was confronted by a conductor who wanted to charge me from Mt Vernon, I produced a monthly Stamford-GCT pass and there wasn't anything they could do.