Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1500753  by Jeff Smith

https://www.westport-news.com/news/arti ... 616841.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Senate Bill No. 163, “An Act Concerning Wireless Internet Availability on the New Haven Line of the Metro-North Commuter Railroad,” would require Metro-North to provide high-quality, complimentary wireless Internet access to riders of the New Haven train line.

“When Boston’s commuter rail service supports Wi-Fi service, Connecticut is placed at a competitive disadvantage. Employers tell us that improving our outdated infrastructure is crucial to revitalizing our economy. Realtors tell us that potential buyers look closely at the commuting experience before investing in our community. We cannot afford to allow Metro-North to remain stuck in the past,†said Sen. Haskell. “Connecticut commuters deserve better than to be forced to rely on frankly unreliable phone service.”

Senate Bill No. 448, “An Act Authorizing Bonds of the State for the Construction of a Canopy Covering The Platform at the Talmadge Hill Train Station in New Canaan,” would authorize state bonds to provide a grant-in-aid to construct a canopy to provide protection against the elements at the Talmadge Hill Train Station in New Canaan.

“We cannot in good faith encourage public transportation while asking commuters to wait in the rain for their train,” said Haskell. “I hear constantly from both Democrats and Republicans in New Canaan that the experience of commuting to Manhattan must improve in order to bolster New Canaan’s real estate market. Most other Metro-North train stations offer canopies that prevent riders from getting soaked. I’m working hard to have one built for my constituents in New Canaan.”
 #1500764  by DutchRailnut

never happen , since cars are operated in pairs it would take over 220 full size installations and a network that won't exist.
just so commuters can go with cheapest poor functioning cell provider ? will CT pay for all this ?

as for talmadge hill canopy , each train I operated there had people get there after train arrived and dashing across to get to choo choo , so is a canopy really cost effective ?
 #1500793  by excitebike

Interestingly, I've noticed that recently many M8s and M7s are broadcasting SSIDs for wifi; they are named with e.g. "M8" plus the car number. If this big installation isn't for consumer use, what else could they be for?
 #1500803  by njtmnrrbuff

Talmadge Hill should have some sort of canopy. Maybe it doesn't have to cover the whole platform. While the New Canaan Branch might see good ridership, the question is does it warrant enough in terms of having the canopy cover the entire platform?
 #1500819  by ExCon90

DutchRailnut wrote:as for talmadge hill canopy , each train I operated there had people get there after train arrived and dashing across to get to choo choo , so is a canopy really cost effective ?
If it's raining, are they sitting in their cars until they see the train? (Or would they do that on cold days anyway?)
 #1501070  by Roadgeek Adam

Talmadge Hill had a wooden tower station with a wooden platform.