Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1497113  by Jeff Smith

NHRegister.com: 6 Shore Line East trips returning to trains from buses next week
The state Department of Transportation announced Wednesday that six weekday trains that had been replaced by buses because of track work and locomotives taken out of service will be returned Tuesday to the New Haven-to-New London line, which is run by Amtrak. Also, two trains that formerly ran between New Haven and Old Saybrook only on Fridays will operate five days a week.
 #1523110  by jxzz

Not truly ending. The bus fleet is standy by in new Haven and was used yesterday.

I was on 5:07pm yesterday from Stamford to Old Saybrook. The train break was malfunctioned shortly after leaving STM and was snail moved to South Norwalk with new locomotive. The train got delayed for over one hour. The original schedule in New Haven was replaced by a bus
 #1523306  by nomis

And that is a protect bus protecting service, not a typical passenger schedule being operated with buses for some runs due to a construction schedule.
 #1523459  by jxzz

nomis wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:06 am And that is a protect bus protecting service, not a typical passenger schedule being operated with buses for some runs due to a construction schedule.
Not the same issues. But similar. One because of construction, another because of train locomotive failure.

Actually a follow up on this Monday SLE Stamford train saga. It took about two days to clear it up. On Tue the train STM/New London at 4:47pm 1640 was canceled in Stamford and the same train started from New Haven instead. Because of cancellation and lack of more Metro North trains, riders in Stamford packed up crazy in Stamford, all standing inside the train for 5:07pm to Old Saybrook. I have ridden enough of these and I know most of riders would have got off before New Haven. It was crazy to pack this train up while waiting for only 10 minutes for next train Metro North at 5:15 pm, a lot more rooms would have been available. I waited for next Metro North :-D . Now I know I am the minority, most nutmeggers are just like NYers, rush and rush for just 10 minutes.

On Wed, the same SLE 1640 still cancelled in Stamford, started from New Haven instead. But the SLE 1644 5:07pm to Old Saybrook from Stamford got a lot longer train, probably double the regular train (3 or 4 cars?) to 6 to 7 cars. The over-crowding was resolved on Wed.