Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1176260  by gregorygrice

I recently read the April edition of Metro North's Mileposts (The little pamphlets that display current events on the system and on-time performance) and found this inside:

"On the Harlem Line, we will continue to install a new interlocking (which allows trains to switch from one track to another) in the Bronx between Fordham and Botanical Garden station,which will help improve travel times and provide us with greater operating flexibility through the area, especially in the event of a disabled train."

Does anyone have details or info on this project? When did it start? Thanks in advance.
 #1176296  by DutchRailnut

started over a year ago, at MP-9 it will allow trains to go from express track to local track only at 1>3 and 2>4 tracks.
Last edited by DutchRailnut on Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1176311  by Clean Cab

I think it will be called CP 109. Funny thing is there used to be an interlocking in the same area. I think it was called "FD" or "BG".
 #1176560  by truck6018

fl9m2004 wrote:I'll have to look for it while riding to and from Grand Central
At least the expresses can go to express track from local
Nothing to see currently except some bridge plates at the Bronx stations on the weekends. I don't think they are close to laying any kind of new iron just yet.
 #1176565  by Clean Cab

Last time I rode through the Bronx (about a month ago), all I saw was the signal boxes and troughs being installed along track #4.
 #1176586  by RearOfSignal

Laying the tracks will probably be the easiest and quickest part. The installation of the electronic and communications devices will be most of the work. I hope though that while some of those tracks are OOS they replace some of the ties in the bronx. The tracks between CP 112 and CP 5 are just plain shameful! I wonder if they'll just keep lowering the speed in the Bronx instead of fixing things?

Was there any other reason besides the concrete ties for lowering the speed between BG curve and CP 106 from 80mph? Yes Fordham curve was 60mph, but any still plenty of room to do 80mph down in the cut, no?
 #1176684  by gregorygrice

RearOfSignal wrote:Laying the tracks will probably be the easiest and quickest part. The installation of the electronic and communications devices will be most of the work. I hope though that while some of those tracks are OOS they replace some of the ties in the bronx. The tracks between CP 112 and CP 5 are just plain shameful! I wonder if they'll just keep lowering the speed in the Bronx instead of fixing things?

Was there any other reason besides the concrete ties for lowering the speed between BG curve and CP 106 from 80mph? Yes Fordham curve was 60mph, but any still plenty of room to do 80mph down in the cut, no?
Yeah those mud spots look terrible.
 #1176844  by Clean Cab

gregorygrice wrote:
RearOfSignal wrote:Laying the tracks will probably be the easiest and quickest part. The installation of the electronic and communications devices will be most of the work. I hope though that while some of those tracks are OOS they replace some of the ties in the bronx. The tracks between CP 112 and CP 5 are just plain shameful! I wonder if they'll just keep lowering the speed in the Bronx instead of fixing things?

Yeah those mud spots look terrible.
The track speed from CP 112 (Woodlawn) to MP 10.0 is 75 MPH. But from MP 10.0 to MP 6.2 the track speed is only 60 MPH. It was 65 MPH from MP 9.8 to MP 8.8 and 80 MPH to MP 6.6 where it dropped to 65 MPH. But the condition of the concrete ties has caused the track speed to be lowered. I do not know if the interlocking project for CP 109 will include tie replacement, but something needs to be done. Some engineers don't even like doing 60 in that area.
 #1176920  by Clean Cab

DutchRailnut wrote:first switch went in on track 1, mounted on guess what ?? concrete ties..:-(

Some people (or railroads) never learn!!!
 #1180919  by RearOfSignal

Anyone know what speed the crossovers will be good for? Typically the high-speed crossovers are laid on concrete ties, but judging from the length of the points on the first half of the crossover that is already installed it looks like the won't be anything better than medium speed.