Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1485170  by Ridgefielder

MACTRAXX wrote:
Rockingham Racer wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:in fact all way to chicago I believe.
No, in the Chicago area, the CPs are numbered such as 501, 507, 509 near the Indiana/Illinois border.
Dutch and RR: Buffalo - CP437 west of Central Terminal looks to be the breakpoint where miles
on the former New York Central were recorded from NYG. From that point west to Chicago noted
by RR is measured from Buffalo...MACTRAXX
That must actually be the division between the New York Central itself and the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern. Amazing that the distinction is still there in ghost form ~140 years after the LS&MS lost its independence.
 #1490539  by Jeff Smith

Backshophoss wrote:Dating back to the NY Central days,thru the PC and CR era's. GCT to MO was always listed as the Hudson Line.
While all 3 lines have MP 0.0 in GCT, both the Harlem and New Haven spun off the Hudson at MO,then the New Haven was spun off the Harlem at
Woodlawn(JO tower).
Not sure if any evidence still exists of the Port Morris freight branch that also spun off on the Harlem side of MO.

The Put had it's MP 0,0 at Sedgwick Ave,it's connection to he Hudson line was at BN tower.
IIRC, to enhance, the CP's (formerly "named", e.g. "Shell", "Pike", etc., interlockings in NYNH&HRR days), Harlem line CP's start with a 1 and the mile after MO, and NH starts with a 2 and mile after Woodlawn. I think the branches on the NH start with 3, 4, and 5?

The Wiki page for the NH line used to have a listing, but doesn't anymore.
 #1490551  by Ridgefielder

To be strictly accurate: in New Haven practice, the interlockings were called Signal Stations, and numbered from west to east. The plant at New Rochelle was SS 22, Rye was SS 26, the Danbury Branch split at South Norwalk was SS 44, etc. The names came in with Penn Central ownership in 1969. The PC followed what I think was ex-PRR practice in assigning names to interlockings, so SS 22 became SHELL, SS 26 PIKE, SS 44 BERK... I think this was a PRR practice because the NYC used 2-letter codes for their interlockings: DV (Spuyten Duyvil), MO (Mott Haven), etc.