Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1484524  by TCurtin

For several weeks now either one main track or the other has been out of service for work between Harmon and Peekskill. That is a particularly terrible spot to have to go down to single track since the scheduling just happens to have a fair number of meets in this area. Anyway they just installed platform extenders at Cortlandt station, which I do not believe has had these previously, to allow the use of the third track (What is it? track 4?) for passenger trains. Just thought I would point this out. Thank God the third track is still there!
 #1484528  by Noel Weaver

I believe there are still three main tracks in the section between Peekskill and Harmon. This situation might take away some flexibility but it should not tie the railroad up. The trackwork is most likely necessary and important.
Noel Weaver
 #1484599  by Railjunkie

CP 40 has been gone for years replaced by CP39. Tracks are numbered from west to east 4-2-1. This may cause a little delay but its not the end of the world, this isnt the first time MNRR has taken track 2 OOS for an extended time.
 #1484668  by TCurtin

I guess I wasn't clear.

For the first few weeks of trackwork, before platform extenders were put in at Cortlandt, ability to use track 4 was pretty much limited to Amtrak trains. This created single track operation for MNR trains on a part of the railroad where scheduling happens to result in frequent meets. Thus there was commonly a delay at either end. Since my home station is Cortlandt, to sit at Harmon (one day I sat for 20 minutes) for a while, a mere 4 miles from home, is a considerable irritation. The powers-that-be at MNR have installed platform extenders at Cortlandt, which now allows general use of track 4, for which we can all be grateful. This has restored largely normal service in that area.
 #1484832  by hovercat

TCurtin wrote:For the first few weeks of trackwork, before platform extenders were put in at Cortlandt, ability to use track 4 was pretty much limited to Amtrak trains. This created single track operation for MNR trains on a part of the railroad where scheduling happens to result in frequent meets. Thus there was commonly a delay at either end. Since my home station is Cortlandt, to sit at Harmon (one day I sat for 20 minutes) for a while, a mere 4 miles from home, is a considerable irritation. The powers-that-be at MNR have installed platform extenders at Cortlandt, which now allows general use of track 4, for which we can all be grateful. This has restored largely normal service in that area.
For the first couple weeks, track 1 was being worked on leaving only tracks 2 and 4 usable. There's no way to put temporary platforms over track 2 to allow trains on track 4 to do station work if track 2 is still live...
 #1484884  by truck6018

For the first few weeks track one was out, leaving only track two usable for station work. After track one was finished, work on track two lasted about a week and change. While the work on track two was in progress, the bridge plates were in use to track four. Track four is not limited to Amtrak. CSX typically uses track four and it's not uncommon for the Metro North trains that do not stop at Cortlandt to use track four.