Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1482532  by TDowling

Metro North has decided to equip its comet fleet for Port Jervis and Pascack Valley line service with non-audio cameras: while we have yet to see all of the 65 cars installed with them, Im wondering if this "test run" will spur the agency to install surveillance in trains on both sides of the river?
 #1482555  by Traingeek3629

They've already got cameras on the M8s for sure (I rode one last weekend with a cam) and today I will ride an M7 and Shoreliner on my way to the Yankee game today, so I'll let you know if I see cameras on the other trains I rode.
 #1482780  by DutchRailnut

not sure what conversation is about , all US commuter and passenger railroads are mandated by Congress to install both out facing and in facing camera's . the railroads since hard disks have huge capacities added in facing camera's in passenger compartments.
the M-8's for example have wiring and recording capacity of 9 channels per car.
 #1484734  by daybeers

DutchRailnut wrote:not sure what conversation is about , all US commuter and passenger railroads are mandated by Congress to install both out facing and in facing camera's . the railroads since hard disks have huge capacities added in facing camera's in passenger compartments.
the M-8's for example have wiring and recording capacity of 9 channels per car.
I work in IT, so I'm interested: do you know what kind of resolution these cameras are and/or how much data one train creates?
 #1484738  by DutchRailnut

believe they are all 1080P not sure of data use but each camera records for over 48 hours before overwriting previous files .
 #1484935  by Kilgore Trout

Let's assume each camera records H.264 at 10 Mbit/sec, which would provide a tolerable image quality at 1080p (I have no idea if that's actually what a typical surveillance camera would record, but this makes the math easy). That's 1.25 Mb/sec, or 75 Mb/minute.

48*60 = 2880 minutes.

2880 minutes * 75 Mb/minute = 216000 Mb, or 210.94 Gb per camera, for 48 hours.

Multiply that by 9 cameras and you have 1893.44 Gb (1.85 Tb) for the entire system.