Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1465351  by BandA

Backshophoss wrote:The MBB's are WORN OUT,were put away "wet" and have body/underframe rot issues,it would be a BAD idea to lease them!
That scheme was a BIG MISTAKE! Should have left the NH scheme on the GP40's
When the MBB's were new they were very comfortable and had flippable 2+2 seating. Unfortunately the foam padding disintegrated, unlike the T's old Budds (felt like natural fibers & made a crunchy sound when you sat down) & the early Bombardiers (?). They've probably had the seats replaced by MBTA (with 3+2) or by CDOT. Would have been great to have the old seats reupholstered.
 #1465485  by Train2009

#6696 was running today on Shore Line East, it was on the 10:14 AM NHV to Old Saybrook train then the 12:50 PM to NHV and the 2:14 PM run to New London, CT.
 #1465623  by deathtopumpkins

I.... don't hate it. I do think I prefer the NH livery just for history's sake, but this still looks pretty sharp.
 #1465742  by Backshophoss

UGLY! Should have kept the NH scheme, from the "drone" pic, looks like looks like 1 of the HEP rad cores failed in shop,testing.
Reminds me of PC "black dip" paint job.
 #1465780  by NH2060

I'm growing to like it a little bit more myself. Though if they added some Alpert-era pinstripes or even late 1940s EP-4-style pinstripes across the whole locomotive it would have looked very sharp.

Now how else could they have painted the rebuilt units?

1) Black carbody with red cab (similar to the McGinnis RS-3, RS-11/DL-701, GP-9, etc.) with the red and black along the sides reversed in order (or remaining all black) and the CTrail logo staying in place.

2) Same as above but with Alpert-era white pinstripes (as in the C424/5s).

At least CDOT wants to continue using black red and white as the livery for their rail operations so NO complaints there :-)
 #1466009  by GU1001

When I first saw this, the first thing that came to mind was someone ripped off the Xbox logo. Color aside, it’s kinda close.
Gotta wonder if it’ll raise any eyebrows at Microsoft.
 #1466098  by Ridgefielder

I for one like to see that CDOT is keeping alive the venerable NYNH&H tradition of having no dam' idea what their corporate image is and changing paint schemes with every locomotive order/rebuild. :wink:

Think about it-- did any other railroad in the pre-Staggers era change its logos and liveries as many times as the New Haven? Compared to them, CDOT has been a model of consistency...
 #1466100  by Ridgefielder

GU1001 wrote:When I first saw this, the first thing that came to mind was someone ripped off the Xbox logo. Color aside, it’s kinda close.
Gotta wonder if it’ll raise any eyebrows at Microsoft.
Also really looks like a ripoff of the old CP logo/scheme but with red and black reversed. https://goo.gl/images/rwLvGE