Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1415992  by Sid Farkus

Hey everyone, I've read in the past on here and have seen some photos of the Comet IA/II/IIA/III and Shorelines that operated on Metro-North's West-of-Hudson service and had some questions. I was hoping to have this as a centralized topic of this equipment as there are some scattered threads on here from the past. I appreciate any insight and if anyone has any photos of this equipment from their archives, I would certainly like to see them. Here's some of the questions that I have.

1. What was the purpose of Metro-North ordering the Comet III cab cars? Were they an add-on order to NJ Transit's or simply their own order? It doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to order only two cab cars and not have them compatible to any other preexisting equipment that ran on their lines.

2. Did Metro-North sell the two Comet II cab cars they received from NJ Transit when they traded their Comet III cabs? Both cars were converted to Comet IIM's and relettered/renumbered to NJ Transit's fleet.

3. What was the reasoning for the Shoreliners arriving to WOH? They were never originally on WOH and arrived I think some time in 1998?

4. Was there any reasoning to the Shoreliners losing their names/changing numbers/changing names when arriving on WOH? I've seen 5174 (Originally 6117 Sugar Maple) had "Harriman" as its name on WOH, but in some photos/videos the name was removed and 5174 was were the name would be on a Shoreliner. George Clinton was one of the Shoreliners to keep its original name, but some were renamed to Sloatsburg, Middletown, and Salisbury Mills.

5. Were there any difficulties in converting the WOH Comet II/Shoreliner fleet for EOH standards? On my thread regarding ex-NJT 5009 and 5010, I was informed that the costs to convert those two cars to EOH standards was too great to convert for passenger use. I would imagine the Shoreliners were a simple transition, but what about the Comet II/IIA's?
 #1416007  by DutchRailnut

most of these questions have been answered in other tread about these two cab cars.
so why did you start another, about same subject ????
 #1416010  by Sid Farkus

If you read carefully, these are not the same questions regarding 5009/5010. I asked about the current status of those two particular cars and what their current plans on for them. I didn't ask that here.
 #1416012  by DutchRailnut

Yet I answered you in other tread on why MN purchased them , why they went to NJT (on loan) and why MN did not use them with earlier Comets .
I also answered you on some of things that would need to be changed to put them in revenue service and how rthat money would be wasted if they are turned into Inspection train.
 #1416024  by Sid Farkus

I don't remember reading that. You stated, that these two cars ( and this thread is not solely about 5179/5180) are still on MN property, are awaiting conversion to inspection cars, and that the thought of them entering revenue service on the EOH was never considering due to the amount of money it would take to configure and convert these two cars. I don't remember reading anything about them being on loan to NJT or why these were purchased in 1991. I know Comet III's cannot be configured with earlier Comets, that's why I asked in this thread, what was the reasoning behind Metro-North's purchase of them, because from an outsider's perspective (mine) it doesn't seem to make sense about the purchase.
 #1416077  by DutchRailnut

Metro North had to increase the WofH fleet and decided to ride on NJT order, the earlier Bombardier cars were no longer available.
MN bought the two cars, they went in NJT pool while NJT put to older cab cars in MN WofH pool to be used with older MN cars.
 #1416112  by DutchRailnut

correct it was easier to send early Bombardier cars to WofH and order more new cars for EofH.
it was purely a case of compatibility.
 #1416113  by DutchRailnut

after the Alstom Comet V's arrived entire shebang was moved back to EofH and send for overhaul at Bombardier in upstate NY just west of Bath NY.
 #1416116  by Sid Farkus

Did NJ Transit have any say on how they wanted the EOH Shoreliners? They changed the numbers of only the cab cars and also changed the names on the majority of the cars that came over. Seems like an unnecessary change.
 #1416122  by DutchRailnut

No, NJT had no say in matter other than testing to see if they were wired right, believe the third rail setup was changed to reflect CB reset and pan up/down for ALP44's.