Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1389009  by NH2060

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:They have a good track record purchasing secondhand rolling stock cheaply to plug gaps, but they've never hung onto any of it long enough to reach a rebuild cycle milestone. SLE's entire history of rolling stock was one of dilapidated old junk in 1990...traded-up to ever-so-slightly less dilapidated old junk in the mid-90's...traded up to lightly worn not-junk in the '00s.
Not completely true. The 1600-series Bombardier coaches were purchased new in 1991-92(?) I guess as a piggyback order. Those included the 4 cabs, 2 trailers, and 4 HEP equipped trailers. I believe the only reason the SPVs got rebuilt afterwards was because ridership was increasing and there wasn't enough money in the coffers for more actual new coaches. Never had a chance to ride the PATrain coaches -though I do recall seeing them from I-95 parked behind the yard @ NHV) but rode the "Constitution Liners" many many times growing up so though they may have been "junk" they really weren't that bad; the seats on those beat those super uncomfy Mafersa seats hands down.

As for the P40s let's hope they stick with the same old thing paint job-wise and don't come back in something along the lines of the BL20GH livery!
 #1389019  by Backshophoss

Believe the "PATrain" cars were older steam heated cars rebuilt to a unknown HEP standard sometime in the '70's
unknown if they were scrapped or planned for rebuilding to current HEP standards
 #1389025  by DutchRailnut

not used for over 10 years and raccoons and other wildlife destroyed interiors, only ConnDOT seems unaware.
 #1389121  by Ridgefielder

DutchRailnut wrote:not used for over 10 years and raccoons and other wildlife destroyed interiors, only ConnDOT seems unaware.
Didn't they sell a bunch of them to the State of Louisiana for use in hurricane evacuations? Or was that proposed then dropped?
 #1389154  by DutchRailnut

no , the Constitution liners were leased to FEMA for evacuation trains after Hurricane Katrina.
not sold, they were returned a few weeks later.

Ok back to topic, and it is not SPV's or Constitution liners !!
 #1466371  by mapper63

DutchRailnut wrote:so far ConnDOT had no overhauls, besides the purchase of 24 cans of Rustoleum Platinum Grey.
The Mafersa's basically had truck overhaul COTS and paint job by Kawasaki in Yonkers but that was it.
CTDOT managed the remanufacture of the GP-40s in 1996-7.
 #1474373  by nomis

Mod Note: Thread re-titled to reflect the awarding of the contract.
 #1474376  by DutchRailnut

1100 days from notice to proceed ??? shit it should have started immediately.
with the 4 ex NJT units on next train to Beech Grove .