Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1348341  by Jeff Smith

Post your pictures and video's here. I'll start off with one from "101MTA" on YouTube of the first Meadowlands Revenue train of the year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRkxEILPXKg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1357033  by Jeff Smith

Very nice, thanks! I saw this in the "Unofficial" group as well, thanks for sharing it here.

That almost looks like an NEC style catenary structure in the background. Obviously catenary is long gone; is that a remnant? Looks too new for that.
 #1357051  by Kurt

Most of the catenary support remains from the catenary itself was removed in the 1960s from what I have been told. It looked like the supports were being used to support other wires..
 #1357064  by DutchRailnut

Most of catenary poles are still standing (barely) the poles are in good condition but foundations are crumbling, plus all support rods are gone.
Each pole had 2 or 3 rods 1 1/2 inch thick to support the poles all were removed during removal.
the sleeve you see hanging from poles is 1 1/2 inch tube with a 3/4 fiber optic cable from a telephone company. the signal system for branch is in ground at about 5 to 6 foot deep.
 #1357065  by Jeff Smith

Thanks. Very different than the catenary support on the main line; that's what caught my eye. I figured most of what was on the Danbury that's still standing would be either similar to the main line, or at least not a cross-track type of support, but rather just a single wire type support. This looks like it could accommodate two tracks as well.
 #1357070  by DutchRailnut

cause there use to be two tracks, as can be seen in Bill Madden picture.
Attachments:
CR28RDCatBethelCT6-9-79WmMadden.jpg
CR28RDCatBethelCT6-9-79WmMadden.jpg (146.03 KiB) Viewed 12426 times
 #1357071  by Jeff Smith

Thanks Jaap. That's an awesome picture. Love the RDC. That must have been in the 80's then? I note the low level platform. I don't have any idea when the branch got high-level. I imagine that must have been in the mid to late 90's (maybe about the same time as Wassaic extension?
 #1357077  by DutchRailnut

branch got high platforms in early 90's, but Bethel was later due to new station construction, reading has second high platform, first one was demolished at old station cause it did not fit in with ambiance of town.
, wassaic extension was in mid to late 90's
 #1367825  by Bill D

Some pictures taken Saturday during the snowstorm:

At South Norwalk.

At Danbury - The 110 began experiencing technical difficulties during this run and was swapped for another set at South Norwalk.

At 125th Street.

At 125th Street
 #1368290  by Kurt

Jan. 25, 2016 at Chelsea, NY. Other than the snow on the front, there is no sign of the storm here
Attachments:
Trains012516-7Chelsea.JPG
Trains012516-7Chelsea.JPG (163.81 KiB) Viewed 11142 times
Trains012516-3Chelsea.JPG
Trains012516-3Chelsea.JPG (133.37 KiB) Viewed 11142 times