Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1339787  by ajp

with all the talk about the M2/4/6 retirement, what is the future of the M3's?
 #1339788  by DutchRailnut

retire once M-9's are replacing them, sometime after 2017.
 #1339798  by F-line to Dudley via Park

ajp wrote:with all the talk about the M2/4/6 retirement, what is the future of the M3's?
The M3A's are scheduled to be in-service until end of 2021 because all of 416 M9's in the LIRR order go first before Metro North sees the first of its 188 M9A's. And it's going to take 4 years just to churn through the LIRR portion, provided it starts on-time next year. The 3A's are actually scheduled for some light systems refurbishment work to keep them reliable for another 6-7 years. That's how long it's going to take.

There's always the option because of the way the ESA schedule keeps slipping, slipping, slipping to re-shuffle the sequence and move up Metro North's portion to maybe two-thirds of the way through to let strictly the LIRR ESA increases malinger to last. But that's not necessarily going to get the 9A's on the property sooner than 2020. Something always ends up running late with any procurement, and LIRR is still getting first dibs on its M3 replacements and every conceivable fleet-padding unit it would ever need on its existing system first before MNRR sees its first car.

They'll be around awhile. Save the retirement tracker thread for 5 years from now.
 #1339821  by Fan Railer

https://web.archive.org/web/20140801140 ... 0_CPOC.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (page 11 has original delivery schedule; this has since slipped due to them not knowing, for some reason, where to place the PTC equipment within the cars).

Once again, the designations are changing. The M9A is being used to designate federally funded cars for the LIRR. Metro-North is only getting M9s (locally funded).
 #1339956  by R36 Combine Coach

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote: Something always ends up running late with any procurement, and LIRR is still getting first dibs on its M3 replacements and every conceivable fleet-padding unit it would ever need on its existing system first before MNRR sees its first car.
That's why some have suggested a small group of the M-1s should have stayed for fleet reserve. I would have favored perhaps about 30-50 of the 1973 option order.
 #1340155  by Jeff Smith

As I understand it, the M-9A, unlike previous "A's", is for LIRR ESA and not Metro North. I believe the M9's will be inter-operable for both railroads (combination over- and under-running DC shoe). I think this may have to do with ESA clearance.
 #1506547  by njtmnrrbuff

In one of the next few months, I want to take a trip to photograph the electrified portions of the Harlem and Hudson Lines so that way, I can be able to photograph as many M3 sets as possible. I’m doing this for a project. I know that M3 sets these days typically have been operating during the week. Have any M3 sets been operating on weekends too? Which train numbers typically get the M3 sets? Thanks.
 #1507065  by ajp

i might be crazy but didn't MNCR decline the M9 order and replaced it with refurbed M3's from the
LIRR and cosideration of MLV's?
 #1507073  by DutchRailnut

MN has decided to keep M-3's longer, MN declined the M-9a (federal funded cars) but still has option on M-9 (state funded cars) however the MN option would come after all LIRR cars are delivered.
The MN M-3 have been well taken care off and my get more cars from LIRR for overhaul .
as replacement for Bombardier coaches MLV's are being considered, with a slight hint that MLV EMU's may be in picture as well.

if you can't run more trains due to tunnel capacity constraints , you may as well add to top.
 #1507213  by Ridgefielder

I thought MLV EMU's were out of the question b/c of clearance restrictions in the tunnel?
 #1507224  by DutchRailnut

MLV's like NJT uses are 14'6" height, same as Genesis.
 #1507302  by BuddR32

I've always been impressed with the condition of MNR fleets. (at least cosmetically) the MN M3A looks like their in better shape than the M7s on LI. With that said, I'd be surprised if any LIRR M3s go to MNR, as they're in awful shape. Also, with LIRR putting ACSES on 40 pair, they'll be holding on to them for a few more years at least.
 #1507303  by njtmnrrbuff

The LIRR M3s won’t be coming to MNR after they are retired. Yesterday, I railfanned the Main Line in various spots and saw multiple M3 sets and boy, it looked like from the outside they are ready to be retired. I think many of MNR’s M3s are in better shape but even those are very old.
 #1507467  by DutchRailnut

I do, but won't mention them :-)