Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1393145  by GirlOnTheTrain

Ridgefielder wrote:Are those month-over-month or year-over-year increases?
From the chair of the Commuter Council himself, they were as compared to the same month the previous year.
 #1411003  by DutchRailnut

actually it has been MN slang since Bombardiers arrived in 1984 and when first mini bomb ran on train 844 in morning .
a lot of bombardier equipment including Brookvilles are out for wheel trueing thanks to our late season leaf events.
 #1423235  by Jeff Smith

I guess I'll file this under "improvements": CT Post

Back to the Rep-Am building!
Waterbury train passengers will get a waiting room

Riders on Waterbury line trains will have an indoor waiting room for the first time in more than 60 years, when a renovation of a portion of the city’s old station is completed, according to the Waterbury-Republican American.

The city’s 1909 Union Station, featuring a tall clock tower visible from the highway and a red sandstone design by famed architects McKim, Mead and White, was purchased by the newspaper in 1952 and is used as the Republican-American’s headquarters.

A portion on the south side of the building, next to the current Metro-North railroad platform, will be renovated for about $1 million by the state Department of Transportion, with the new waiting room expected to open in the spring of 2018, the newspaper reported.
 #1423522  by F-line to Dudley via Park

That's genuinely good. Standing out on that windswept platform in sketchy part of downtown is a ridership self-deterrent, even when crime in Waterbury isn't so awful as it was 10+ years ago. Well-lit waiting room in an occupied building where there's with near-certainty going to be good security cam coverage is a big deal perception-wise. As cosmetic changes go, this will probably outslug its weight on encouraging ridership simply because of perception of enhanced safety and attention to enhanced creature comforts on a traditionally much-maligned branchline service.
 #1425972  by GP40MC 1116

Forgive me if this is the incorrect thread, but I was interested in some information on the Waterbury Brach's current operation. if anyone could describe in detail here or if need be link to other websites that describe the branch and service frequency that would be great.

With the first inbound service train from Waterbury to Grand Central at 5:44AM, does the crew deadhead from Bridgeport/Stamford? Having only been to Waterbury once a few years ago, I didn't notice any crew facilities, layover or anything of that nature.
 #1425978  by DutchRailnut

train and crew deadhead from Stamford as train 1186 originating in Stamford at 03:55

at night the last crew runs WB to ST as 1195 leaving WB ot 00:29