Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1232255  by Ridgefielder

Especially tragic that this had to happen on the first Sunday in Advent, at the start of the Christmas season. My condolences to the families of the dead, and my thoughts, prayers and hopes for a speedy recovery to the injured and their families.
-Brendan Jones
 #1232259  by CPSK

I rode that line from Croton last December, and noted that the train was going very slowly (around 10mph) around that curve, and the ride was very bumpy.
I know that there has been a lot of construction on that line over the summer.
IMO, it is a bad curve, and the rail line needs extensive work. If spending on RR's was as high as what it is for highways, maybe we would have a better/safer system.

CP
Last edited by CPSK on Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1232260  by Clean Cab

I really don't see any reason Empire service cannot resume. The point at which the tracks link onto MN track 4 at CP 12 is well beyond the affected area.
 #1232261  by deathtopumpkins

The derailment was right next to the Empire Connection, and while it is not actually blocked, it's probably much closer than the NTSB would like. For one, you don't want trains rolling anywhere near an active investigation, and two, they probably don't want passengers gawking out the windows at the rescue efforts.

You can see how close the Empire Connection track is from this CNN picture: http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets ... allery.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1232263  by CPSK

deathtopumpkins wrote:The derailment was right next to the Empire Connection, and while it is not actually blocked, it's probably much closer than the NTSB would like. For one, you don't want trains rolling anywhere near an active investigation, and two, they probably don't want passengers gawking out the windows at the rescue efforts.

You can see how close the Empire Connection track is from this CNN picture: http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets ... allery.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also, some of the work crews may be needing to use a section of that track (between CP12 and the SD bridge).
Which track was the MN train on when it derailed? I read in one post that it might have been on track 2, then crossed track 4 as it was derailing.
 #1232265  by ST214

This is a terrible incident. Hopefully the death toll stays at 4.
 #1232267  by CPSK

It was a terrible accident. I always get upset when there is a train wreck, especially when passengers are involved.
Like many others, I am looking to blame someone/something for the wreck, but understand that it is way too early to be coming to any conclusions, or even the press making statements that the train was going too fast - they interviewed one guy who rides the train every Sunday and he said the train was going much faster around the bend than it usually did. I guess you can make your own judgment based on the photos you have seen.
On the lighter side - and more a railfan interest: What do you think will happen to the trash trains that normally come out of NYC, travel north on the Hudson line, then west to Selkirk, and down the CSX River sub on their way to West Virginia (or wherever they dump the trash). I'm just curious, because I see those trains almost every day when I run in a park in Teaneck NJ next to the CSX River sub tracks.

CP
Last edited by CPSK on Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1232268  by SwingMan

Well although I can agree with those points, Amtrak has to run it's trains. Their track isn't blocked, and they have trains to run too.

Just terrible that one of the busiest commuter railroads in North America could have so many terrible incidents in one year. Nothing good is going to come out of the investigation, because it will be either someones or somethings fault, all of which will leave a even worse rep on the railroad.
 #1232271  by CPSK

lirr415 wrote:Well although I can agree with those points, Amtrak has to run it's trains. Their track isn't blocked, and they have trains to run too.

Just terrible that one of the busiest commuter railroads in North America could have so many terrible incidents in one year. Nothing good is going to come out of the investigation, because it will be either someones or somethings fault, all of which will leave a even worse rep on the railroad.
It's terrible that four people lost their lives, but it is good that the engineer survived. At least he will be able to give his account of what happened.

CP
 #1232280  by Bill D

I find this aerial view from the Daily News to be quite dramatic, showing the entire train as it ended up.

Photo credit: Mark Bonifacio/New York Daily News
 #1232282  by Clean Cab

That picture tells the whole story. You can see where the 3rd rail is knocked down on track 2 (second from the left) which is where the train left the tracks.
 #1232283  by Tommy Meehan

CPSK wrote:...On the lighter side - and more a railfan interest: What do you think will happen to the trash trains that normally come out of NYC, travel north on the Hudson line, then west to Selkirk, and down the CSX River sub on their way to West Virginia (or wherever they dump the trash).
CP
This doesn't look like there is really severe damage to the track. I don't know when service may resume, it's probably too early to say. First thing is, this is a key commuter route into New York City so there will be a lot of pressure to get service restarted as soon as possible. The other thing is, the NTSB will investigate and they will have control of the scene until they are finished. Especially because of the fact there were fatalities, I'm sure NTSB is going to be doing a lot of work and they won't want service started until they're done. Obviously in an investigation like this they only get one shot at getting it right so I'm sure NTSB will be taking a lot of time.

As for the trash trains, there's no real alternative route from Oak Point in the Bronx to the Selkirk Yard near Albany. I think they'll probably do the same thing they did last summer when the CSX train derailed at Marble Hill. They'll annul the trash trains until service resumes. Just hold everything either in the Bronx or at Selkirk until the track reopens.
 #1232284  by Tommy Meehan

Clean Cab wrote:That picture tells the whole story. You can see where the 3rd rail is knocked down on track 2 (second from the left) which is where the train left the tracks.
I've ridden around that curve more times than I can count. Must be in the thousands. When I look at the pix of those overturned coaches I get chills. What a ride that must've been! :(
 #1232287  by mvb119

I've ridden around that curve more times than I can count. Must be in the thousands. When I look at the pix of those overturned coaches I get chills. What a ride that must've been! :(
I too got the chills when I found out about this since I am on the line just about everyday except for Sundays. I hope all the injured make a speedy recovery, and my thoughts are with those that did not make it.
 #1232290  by Tommy Meehan

Does anyone know if there's a list of the people effected? I really do know a lot of people who ride the line (besides myself) and a couple of them might have even been on that train. :(