Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1268790  by Noel Weaver

YES and it was on NBC Nightly News tonight with Brian Williams about 24 minutes into the broadcast. I have it recorded and will save that one. It showed a shot of dead M-2's lettered for the scrapper, interior shots of the M-2 bar cars and a couple shots of M-8's on the move. I suspect more will come.
Noel Weaver
 #1268791  by DutchRailnut

expect last bar car on 1574 to be overrun by memento seeking rail buffs, one in particular has been rounding up support.
 #1268811  by Otto Vondrak

DutchRailnut wrote:expect last bar car on 1574 to be overrun by memento seeking rail buffs, one in particular has been rounding up support.
I expect the car will be completely disassembled by the time it arrives in Stamford...

-otto-
 #1268854  by runningwithscalpels

Provided my inbound train has one (as it has had the past several Fridays) I could care less if it is staffed or not, I'll have my own send off :P
 #1268864  by runningwithscalpels

DutchRailnut wrote:expect last bar car on 1574 to be overrun by memento seeking rail buffs, one in particular has been rounding up support.
I would pay good money to see that charade if only to see the pissed off regular commuters having to deal with that :P
 #1268883  by MP85 803

Car 8667 on train 1574 tonight will be the last of the M2 cafe cars to operate in revenue service...End of and era and the beginning of another?????
 #1268894  by DutchRailnut

Just watch out incase Buzzer boy shows up with a tool set.
 #1268957  by MP85 803

Due to an earlier service disruption involving a trespasser fatality at Milford with Amtrak 171, Metro-North equipment swaps were made now resulting in the last cafe car OPERATING on train 1578 departing GCT at 7:34 PM.
 #1268972  by R36 Combine Coach

1578 should be departing as this post is made. Joe Lhota on Twitter (and mentioned by WABC TV news) says that a total phase out of bar service was "never in the cards" and that if he were still in office, "it wouldn't [the retirement of bar service] have happened".
 #1268984  by DutchRailnut

Joe (hot air) Lhota has no say over it, even if he were in office, the Bar cars are a CDOT item and not Metro North.