Bar cars: end of an era?

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, Jeff Smith, FL9AC

runningwithscalpels

Re: Bar cars: end of an era?

Post by runningwithscalpels » Tue May 06, 2014 6:09 am

I believe 1573 is staffed, I didn't actually go to the bar car but the conductor made the announcement - and that was within the last month.
Change at Bridgeport for service to Derby-Shelton, Ansonia, Seymour, Beacon Falls, Naugatuck and Waterbury

Trainer

Post by Trainer » Tue May 06, 2014 7:51 am

Instead of trying to modify M8's into new Bar Cars, and dealing with the expense of purchasing and customizing costly new cars, why not just hollow out some FL9' chassis and keep them on the front of trainsets? They'd make great bar cars and the view out the front would be terrific. Add a few more of those hobbit-windows down the sides, of course.

deathtopumpkins

Post by deathtopumpkins » Tue May 06, 2014 9:11 am

Well there wouldn't be a view out the front because there would be a cab with an engineer in it in the way.

Plus I'm sure there would be issues running FL9's in a train of M8's, and I doubt the cost of gutting FL9s and building a bar car into the shell would be cheaper than converting a few M8's into bar cars.
Call me Connor or DTP

Railfan & Roadgeek from the North Shore of Mass.

Clean Cab

Post by Clean Cab » Tue May 06, 2014 12:06 pm

Good bye and good riddance to the M2 bar cars!! They were nothing but a waste of space. Keep in mind there will be some variation of an M8 bar car once a design is both finalized and approved. The M8 contract has requirements for "up to 24" bar cars, but that does not mean there will be 24 of them.

This Friday (5/9) will mark the last day of bar car service. Train #1574 will be the last train to have a staffed bar car. After that, they last remaining bar cars will be retired.
I'm stuck on a sandbar on Cape Cod, and I couldn't be happier!!!

ACeInTheHole

Post by ACeInTheHole » Tue May 06, 2014 12:37 pm

Trainer wrote:Instead of trying to modify M8's into new Bar Cars, and dealing with the expense of purchasing and customizing costly new cars, why not just hollow out some FL9' chassis and keep them on the front of trainsets? They'd make great bar cars and the view out the front would be terrific. Add a few more of those hobbit-windows down the sides, of course.

Please tell me youre joking.

Clean Cab

Post by Clean Cab » Tue May 06, 2014 3:12 pm

Trainer wrote:Instead of trying to modify M8's into new Bar Cars, and dealing with the expense of purchasing and customizing costly new cars, why not just hollow out some FL9' chassis and keep them on the front of trainsets? They'd make great bar cars and the view out the front would be terrific. Add a few more of those hobbit-windows down the sides, of course.

That is one of the more original, yet ridiculous ideas I've ever heard of. There are so many problems with this idea. Safe to say nothing even close to it would ever be workable.
I'm stuck on a sandbar on Cape Cod, and I couldn't be happier!!!

DutchRailnut

Post by DutchRailnut » Tue May 06, 2014 7:33 pm

can we please stop quoting the message over and over and over again??????
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.

BigUglyCat

Post by BigUglyCat » Wed May 07, 2014 3:15 am

Second Dutch's motion. I asked this once under the previous administration and was essentially ignored.

R36 Combine Coach

Post by R36 Combine Coach » Wed May 07, 2014 2:33 pm

Which cars in the 8651-8669 series are still running this week?
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.

Train538

Post by Train538 » Wed May 07, 2014 5:20 pm

My father spotted 8651 in service while riding 1538 this afternoon.
"We have clearance, Clarence. Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor? Tower's radio clearance, over! That's Clarence Oveur. Over. Over. Roger. Huh? Roger, over! What? Huh? Who?" (from the movie Airplane!)

fl9m2004

Post by fl9m2004 » Wed May 07, 2014 6:24 pm

When I went on the Yankees train this past sunday there was a bar car don't know if it was open or closed
I think it was 8669?

NH2060

Post by NH2060 » Wed May 07, 2014 9:31 pm

Backshophoss wrote:Considering the current "feellings" about MNR after the DV wreck and the FRA "oversight",any chance of a
"Farewell to the M-2's" fantrip including some of the bar pairs?
I think a proper onboard farewell with some music will suffice.
Like this number by Lefty, Charlie T. Jr, Otis, Lucky, and Nelson:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwqhdRs4jyA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Noel Weaver

Post by Noel Weaver » Thu May 08, 2014 1:47 am

My guess is that there will be some press coverage of this happening and I will be watching the New York newspapers for something Saturday morning.
Noel Weaver

lirr42

Post by lirr42 » Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 am

They beat you to it, Mr. Weaver. A number of them have ran stories online about the impending end of the bar cars.

The way you see most people reacting you would think they're abandoning half of the New Haven Line...

runningwithscalpels

Post by runningwithscalpels » Thu May 08, 2014 12:12 pm

Or forever banning booze from their train rides... -_-
Change at Bridgeport for service to Derby-Shelton, Ansonia, Seymour, Beacon Falls, Naugatuck and Waterbury

Return to “MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail”