Railroad Forums 

• Gloucester Draw Failure Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1372340  by NH2060

Could the new bridge be finally around the corner?
Six years after a state study found the now 105-year-old Annisquam River rail drawbridge to be in the worst condition of any bridge across the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority system, construction officials with the MBTA and state Senate Minority Leader Bruce Tarr will be addressing and fielding questions Tuesday night from the Gloucester City Council regarding plans to replace the structure.

http://www.gloucestertimes.com/news/loc ... 5261f.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1503665  by BostonUrbEx

I'm surprised there seems to be no separate topic or thread with updates for the Gloucester Draw Replacement Project?

The project is underway with lots of prep work having taken place. Project timeline was lengthened because local politicians fought against a complete shutdown and replacement. The project will instead remove and replace half the bridge at a time, leaving a single track intact to Gloucester and Rockport at all times during the week. The lengthened project timeline was then stretched further and expected to be dragged out an additional year due to an unexpected stone causeway below the pilings and asbestos materials found to be dumped and/or used as fill in the area of the bridge. The stone causeway was not in engineering documents from the original construction and it was unclear if removal would jeopardize the entire bridge's integrity. As far as I know, the rocks were at least partially removed successfully on weekend shutdowns, but I do not know where asbestos abatement stands.