Railroad Forums 

• Old MBTA System Maps and Schedules

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#988796  by CircusFreakGRITZ

I was at the Hub Division train show about a year ago and picked up a few old MBTA maps. Also found a "Boston & Albany Railroad" schedule for the Riverside branch c.1958, right before the T bought and converted it into light rail. I figured I'd finally post pictures of these for people to see. Let me know if you want more scans of the maps and I can try and do that.

-Scott

(left to right: 1974, 1976, 1980. Note the marketing used on the 1974 map. "The Answer")

(again)

From the 1980 system map. Neat to see the Harvard/Brattle and the dotted Braintree extension!

Finally, today's edition from Summer 2011
 #990458  by HenryAlan

It's interesting that the 1980 map shows all NEC commuter rail routed through the Dorchester branch. I was under the impression that such routing was only from 1983 to 1987.
 #990521  by blackcap

The NEC rerouting, along with the shutdown of the Needham Line, was in place from 1979 to 1987, to allow the new Southwest Corridor Orange Line alignment to be built.
 #991787  by R36 Combine Coach

There is quite a bit of recent (2000-present) MBTA materials on the Wayback Machine archives:

Subway Schedule:
2004 (Early)
2004 (Fall)

(If link doesn't work, enter URL http://www.mbta.com/traveling_t/pdf/subway/subway.pdf into Wayback Machine and select by year/date)

2007 (Spring/Summer)
2009 (Fall)
2010 (Fall)

(Enter URL http://www.mbta.com/uploadedFiles/Docum ... hedule.pdf into Wayback Machine and select year/date if link is broken)
 #991805  by MBTA3247

The D Line was extended to Lechmere during the construction of the new station and tunnel that replaced the elevated, while the C Line was cut back from North Station during the same period after the Canal St Loop was torn up. Once the new incline was opened, the routes returned to their pre-construction endpoints.
 #991812  by sery2831

During the construction of the current Super Station the C Line was cut back to Gov't Center while the D Line was extended to Lechemere via the elevated. This was an interesting time because the C Line was 100% Boeing equipped and a few Type 8s were in service and were running on the D Line. This was the only time the Type 8s were seen on elevated. Shortly after this time they were banned from the D Line and never saw North Station again.
 #1161251  by The EGE

1982 and 1988 system map folders, including commuter rail maps. The 1982 map shows the Southwest Corridor diversion and the Red Line Northwest Extension under construction.
 #1163136  by Rbts Stn

Very cool. Needham line shows back up between the two displays. Wish it had a full CR schedule, but there is a helluva lot of data there. Thanks!
 #1430329  by rhodiecub2

I noticed on the 1988 schedule, service to Gardner was still on the commuter rail map. Didn't Gardner service stop at the beginning of 1987 or get bustituted between Fitchburg to Gardner?